SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptilda

Summer projects

ptilda
14 years ago

Okay, I've finally decided to take photos of my garden. Keep in mind, I'm using my cellphone to take photos 'cause I don't have a real camera that works. Also, this is an on-going project. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1. This photo is taken across the greatest width of my main garden. It's RIGHT outside the front door, and you have to walk through it to get anywhere! Yippee! This has been somewhat this way since my dad built the house in 1976, but has gone through a lot of changes. You can see some of the Undulata Albomarginata that I line the garden with, partially so that it gets eaten by the deer first, and partially because I had SO many of those plants back when I first started the project. There are now around 75 cultivars of Hosta in this tiny area, not including the mass plantings of the common types, plus other plants for color and flowers. The truck is my uncle's.

2. There is a sidewalk right up against the house, which I hate (a genius idea of my brother's a while back, but what can I do?), but most people use the path made by home-made stepping stones. On the right are some of the larger Hosta, but they are only 3 years old at the oldest, and get VERY little sun. On the left is "mini-land".

3. From the corner of the front porch, out to the N-E corner of the front garden, another view of mini-land and moving into larger hosta. A lot of newly planted groundcover & other plants acquired through GW trades, so they won't look too good this year.

4. The hand-laid cobblestone path my sister put in a few years ago when I was away at school. A nice surprise! The path has been like this for a while, but was just weed-filled mulch for a long time. I'm looking for shade-tolerant ground cover to put into the path, but something that doesn't get too invasive. Ideas?

5. New compost bins on the north side of the garage, made with old palates. The fence is recycled from a fence that was taken down in another location. I need to plant something in front of it, but it's pretty deep shade (this is the North-east corner of the house) Any ideas?

6. The new perennial garden being put in. My technique is to make the bed, then fill it as things come. A few hosta in here that my niece asked me to rescue from her yard when she moved away. A nice year-old Sum & Substance in the corner. The plastic was given to us by a local farmer. They use it to cover their silage. We're using it fro projects like the patio that is going to be put in in front of the garden (from your view). The rocks, "black dirt" and mulch were also free acquisitions from local farms & businesses. It's GOOD to live in the country!

Keep in mind, it's a work-in-progress, so it's a pretty big mess right now. My brother's house is on the same land, next door, and the junk behind the fence is his (why the fence was put up, but sometimes the junk gets in FRONT of the fence, like the inner tube).

Comments (11)