SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ficus_spider_man

Big bluestem a good idea or a bad idea.

ficus-spider-man
16 years ago

I have a flower garden that has a empty space, that messured by my feet is about 28 inches long by 24 inches wide, The soil is very damp and heavy, lots of common asters( I let them grow along our gurage) and wild voilets were growing there before I pulled them out to make room for something else. I at first wanted a blue flowering plant or a red flowering plant but changed my mind, I already have in this garden white, pink and purple flowering natives( Swamp milkweed,joe pie weed,obentent plant 'miss manners' yellow cone flower, butterfly weed and a huge blazing star. The garden goes in front of our gurage has, butterflyweed, purple cone flower,brown eyed susan,switch grass,purple prarie clover, wild voilet.

This area I'm thinking of planting borders the neighbores lawn, basicly a weed patch of wild voilet and asters, native but weedy, and our lawn, he let me expand my garden to inclue the sunnest front end of his land in between his gurage and ours, sense dandelions were taking over along with the voilets I subjested it and he agreed. I want to grow a native grass bordering our gurage that looks striking and exoticly colorful, I thought either indian grass or big blue stem would do it, expect these grasses get very large and look wild I dont want my neighbor to worry. Would a shady/sun spot in damp soil next to a gurage be a good site for either of these plants?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville