SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medora66

Vernal Witch Hazel vs. Carolina Allspice

medora66
13 years ago

I'm searching for the best shrub to plunk at one corner of my house. This particular corner is also adjacent to our patio, where we eat when it's warm outside.

I have about 10' in width -- maybe about 12? I can handle something up to 15' high. It's a western exposure, against the house, so it'll get strong (and hot) light in the afternoon. Soil is so-so ... ok drainage ... close enough to a hose that we could give a plant a shot of water during tough spells.

Wherever possible, I'm trying to choose natives or native cultivars for our landscaping (I'm not necessarily requiring them to be native to the area -- just native to the US).

So given all that -- I'm thinking that Vernal Witch Hazel or Carolina Allspice might be interesting choices here. We're big fans of traditional Witch Hazel -- I'm not sure though what the form of the Vernal would be in full sun. I'm also not sure whether Allspice is all that in the winter ... ? Is it one of those plants that you love for a few weeks and then you move on?

Our house is barn red, for what it's worth. So red fall color is actually NOT an asset.

Opinions? And if you have other suggestions let me know.

Comment (1)

Sponsored