Wild violet?

SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)(5a MI)

These are blooming everywhere in an area that was once a neglected dog run. I've been working on making this place into a nice lawn and garden area and was planning to spread weed killer. But they're so pretty I hate to kill them. Maybe I'll transplant them to the "wild" area toward the back where the compost pile is. Anyway, an ID would be appreciated and any other info.

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krnuttle

I have found that you can enjoy them in the spring, and then mow them. You will not see them until they bloom next spring.

The rest of the year, you will have a good looking yard minus the violets.

They are sure pretty when there are many in a small area. We encourage them to grow in the flower beds and in the wild area at th eedge of the woods.

Save    

Thanks! The edge of the woods is a good idea, in front of the ferns. They will make a pretty foreground.

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

FWIW, I held a tolerant attitude towards blue wood violets in my lawn over the years. Guess what? They liked that treatment! I've got nearly 50% coverage in many areas of my lawn now by these plants.

I still like them, and because broadleaf herbicides don't work on violets, their eradication-in my lawn-would entail total do-over. The violets are quite beautiful right now, and most likely, I'll not attempt to do anything about them. But I did want to offer the warning that these things can spread.....a lot.

+oM

Save    
Iris GW

Identification: Viola sororia. Violets are the host plants for some butterflies.

Save    

Good info, and thanks for the ID. I will definitely transplant them to the wild area in back. They can spread all they want there.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Ground Covers Give Your Lawn a Taste of the Wild
Consider the joys of an irregularly trimmed meadow lawn: It’s ecofriendly, visually interesting and still good for romping
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: Wild Triangular House in Boulder
Bold colors and eclectic vintage finds meet at every angle for a Colorado homeowner
Full Story
Stone Give In to Your Wild Side With Exotic Granite and Onyx
Go beyond the standard slab with these radiant and rare stones
Full Story