SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkat_gw

Best time to move wildflowers

jkat
13 years ago

Hello,

We have been informed that the city I live in will be doing extensive roadwork in our neighborhood beginning early next spring. We were told that one of the beds that contains wildflowers will be disturbed during the construction as it is very near the road.

I want to save my perennial wildflowers and am wondering when it would be best to move them. There are several varieties-wild columbine, ferns, snow in summer, Dutchman's breeches, toad lilies and some others I can't identify.

Is it best to move them while they are still active and easy to distinguish, or to mark them and move after they have died back?

I have an annual bed that I am planning to use for the temporary re-housing as it looks like the construction will go though most of next summer. It normally houses shade loving annuals so they should be happy there. Do I need to do any amendments to the soil? When I planted the wildflowers originally I didn't amend at all and they have done fine (it was a wooded area that was never disturbed during development). I just want to minimize shock and ensure as many as possible survive.

Thank you for the advice!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!