SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topnotchveggie

Starting from scratch

topnotchveggie
18 years ago

Hello Fellow Members,

I am new to the world of gardening and through my research I found this great resource. I have always planted a vegetable garden using grown plants, but thought it was about time to gain the experience from seed to table. Let's all cross our fingers. So, here I go with some questions seeking your advice.

What's considered the "correct" way of starting seeds inside? I was in my local shop and they seem to have a wealth of products. For example, do I use the "starter kits" that include a waterproof tray, plastic cells, plastic "greenhouse" tops and peet pellet inserts? Or do I choose the path of using the peet pots, in which I can use the peet pellet inserts or starter soil? Or do I create a customized setup picking and choosing from a laundry list of items? Are the listed items above just good marketing and do I do something different?

In addition, I see a lot of garden resource websites and online retailers pushing the garden lights and heating pads, are these a necessity? If so, what are some makeshift setups you have used in the past? Lastly, where do you recommend setting up the "seed setup?"

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions and giving me insight into the world of gardening. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions