SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tacangel

New to gardening and need advice

tacangel
17 years ago

I am new to gardening and need some direction. We have a house in Justin, TX. The house came with the standard builder bushes (prickly looking things that flower sometimes) in the front border and a tree in the center of the front yard. Last year I thought I would add some color to the front of the house. I planted a few flowers in the borders and then read that I should put mulch on the borders to keep them moist. I did that. I think I did something wrong because the flowers never really grew and some of them just died within a few weeks. Maybe I didn't put enough mulch on them. It was about 4 to 6 inches deep, should it have been more? I would like to try again this year as well as start some things in the backyard. Right now it is just grass and weeds. Do I remove all of the mulch now to put more flowers in this year? Does it have to be changed every year? If I don't remove it, how do you keep it from getting mixed in with the dirt? Or does it matter? I am starting to see flowers in the store now, so is it okay to plant them?

Any pointers that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone could recommend a good "Gardening 101" book that would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Carol

Comments (2)