SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddlaz_gw

Spider plant dividing, propagation, and resoiling questions

16 years ago

Hello, first off, I am TOTALLY new to gardening. My mom has her garden and such, but I did little to nothing to help. So, after reading about spider plants, I decided to try gardening with it. I bought a nice healthy looking spider plant. It has about 6 or 7 runners (runners are the stalky things that have leaves at the way end and some along the way on nodes right?).

I'd like to resoil (not sure if that's the correct term) in organic soil because I'm an organic freak sometimes. Anyhow, what I'd like to do is repot the plant in organic soil, but when I took the plant out of the pot, it was crowded with roots all over. Is there a way to wash the soil out without damaging the plant in any way?

That brings up another topic, dividing. I've read that if it gets too crowded, you should either repot in a bigger pot, or divide the plant. I'd like to divide some of it into a few smaller pots to put around the house. Is there a specific procedure? I'm just imagining cutting the roots as I tug on the main stem. I also have this idea that dividing will help me with the resoiling.

Now propagating...people use the terminology plantlets, cuttings, clippings, seedlings, etc. Are these terms interchangeable when talking about spider plants? If they are, what exactly is the "plantlet" that I would cut off to propagate? Is it the end of the runner with leaves? My guess is that it's the end with the leaves, cut the runner about 4 inches from the leaves and put the stem in water?

One more thing, the runners have different textures/colors. The runners with very few leaves are green and soft (non-woody?). the runners with an abundance of leaves are yellowish and hard (semi-woody?).

Would this be a sign of the runner's age?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio