SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
winged_mammal

plant rescues in maryland

winged_mammal
18 years ago

Is there a group or a newsletter or anything that lets people know when an area is about to be developed? I've seen TONS of areas in the Laurel, Beltsville, Greeneblt area get developed for the McMansions. The woods were LOADED with- mountain Laurel, pinxter azaleas, highbush and lowbush blueberries and huckleberries, and summersweet clethra. I hate buying a one gallon mountain laurel for $25 at a native plant sale when I just witnessed hundreds of them get bulldosed. Its such a waste. They transplant so easy too. I never know what the exact borders are when areas are getting developed or in most cases I find out to late because it only takes the bulldosers like a day.

Comments (8)

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Did you contact the native plant society for Maryland? Here in the Atlanta area, the Georgia Native Plant Society coordinates rescues after getting developer permission.

By the way, I've not found mountain laurel to be easy to transplant - mostly because we so rarely find small ones. I saw one today that was as tall as a one story house and just as wide. Scouted all around and there was not a young one to be found! Mountain laurel is actually one plant that I recommend for people to buy. Now azaleas ... those I can do!

• winged_mammal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sometimes with mt. laurel its hard to tell where the base of the plant is because of all the branches under the leaf litter. I've only transplanted a few so I may have been lucky. No, haven't tryed the Maryland Native Plant Society yet. There website doesn't mention anything about rescues. With the rampant development here I'd like to see more rescues and less hype about native plant sales. If nothing else its saves years of watering and black plastic pots. (and money)

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Well, I'm a big fan of rescues, that's for sure. Perhaps the Maryland Society just doesn't publish any information about rescues. I noticed the Maryland Society is divided into chapters, so maybe different ones have different activities too.

At the GNPS annual plant sale, most of the plants being sold are donated plants from people that rescued them on organized events.

So, send them an email. You may just start something new!

• yarthkin
    18 years ago

I agree. Many of the plant societies have more events and activities than are listed publicly. Contact them and see, and if there aren't any plant rescues then suggest it to them.

...Also, don't forget about making your opinions known to your local government. Many communities have succeeded in passing ordinances that require developers to leave more native plants and greenspace, or create greenspace elsewhere. Some communities even have policies which encourage innovative strategies uaing native plants like green roofs, wildflower meadow instead of lawns, and rain gardens. This has the effect of blurring the line between urbal and rural areas and creates a truely beautiful city. One town I visited even had areas of the city where not even utility workers were allowed to cut trees. In short, if you don't like how development is happening, then you can get involved. You may even find that it is far easier to be heard by your local government and make a real difference than to make a dent in the big national and global issues most folks focus on.

• rembetika
    18 years ago

i can't wrap my brain around the fact that a person can't legally come & take plants that are about to be destroyed, and yet the big $$ developers have the right to just come in an destory everything. where is the outrage?? i am right now trying to find out more info abut rescue here in central texas. but i'm from MD & it broke my heart to see how the entire center of the state- around baltimore/DC/howard county & beyond... which until just recently was such beautiful farmland.. is getting destroyed at the speed of light-- the roads were so overcrowded last time i was there it was unbearable. it just makes me so sad to be there now. anyway, that's another issue.
    the same thing is happening here of course, but this area is much newer in terms of modern settlement... and no one seems to care or notice that all the things they love about being here- the meadows, wide open spaces, unspoiled greenery, native wildflowers, etc.. are quickly vanishing,, & turning into sterile, contrived, golf-course-like Designer McDevelopments. well, the ones who care don't have the power.
    anyway.... all i can say is i wish you luck. there are so many places that are so sacred they should just be outdoor museums- protected from destruction. but that's just a fantasy i guess-- except groups like the nature conservacy are doing what they can to preserve-- but too much land's disappearing too fast & people are breeding too quickly. i wonder how soon before this beautiful country of ours-- or, what's left of it-- is going to be one giant strip mall.....??

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

I can well appreciate the scope of what this thread is all about. It is disheartening as I have seen some very fantastic spots where native violets and peonies grew and endemic ceanothus and manzanitas flourished end up being stripped clear of all the vegetation. It comes as a shock if you are not visiting the area often. The feeling is almost like being that of rape. It violates your memories and your conscience of just where is it all headed.

Are there really any pristine spots left!

Yet what is a person to do. It takes time and that means money as well. With a helter-skelter life no one person can do it unless you are totally rich and have the bucks to spare to take actions such as buying up the property. That is what folks like the Nature Conservancy are doing. This is probably the only way but on an individual effort one can begin the ball rolling.

See a spot worth saving. Plants worth protecting or removing to safe spots or to native plant nurseries for
    cultivation. Then take images!!! Develop a jpg webjournal.
    That is use WordPerfect and load your images onto the page and make your comments and then print those babies out and mail them to the local governments. With jpg files you can email them to the local governments. Inform the persons who can control the use of property even that of private property.

The biggest problem facing the protection of endangered plants comes from private ownership laws. It is my property and I will do what I want. This is the way of the White Man!
    Maybe it goes way back to medieval days where even people were property of powerful lords who did what they wanted to whomever they wanted to! But look now. Is not the federal government being turned towards this feudalistic attitude about the vanishing American wilderness? Teddy Roosevelt would turn over in his grave if he saw what the current administration and the other feudal lords are trying to do to America in the name of protecting it!

Protecting that which is cherished falls under that "pursuit of happiness" clause. It is an obligation for all citizens and for all levels of government. Yet who teaches citizenship anymore?

Again-take the images-write the journals-send them to the
    appropriate government-let them know so there is at least an acknowledgment of the fact that this plant or this spot of earth has enough merit to do something to redeem it!

• loris
    18 years ago

rembetika,

I think you might be interested in this web-site if you're not already familiar with the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin. Maybe you can get involved with something they do to help fight the frustration (that of course I share). I don't remember if I've seen them mention rescues. I'm familiar with the site since I use their plant search feature often and became a member after an answer to a question I had posted on GW about good publications for people interested in avoiding invasive plants suggested this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center

• oogy4plants
    17 years ago

An area along Rock Creek near Derwood, MD (Montgomery County) is being denuded. I noticed that there are mayapples along the edge of the strip that has been bulldozed. I keep wishing I had a shovel with me so I can sneak over there and dig them up.

I wanted to let you all know in case someone has time to do this before the aphalt comes. Try to ask permission first, but going in the evening after the workers leave might be possible, too.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations