SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nmcnear

Help! New Ceanothus not looking to hot...

nmcnear
13 years ago

I recently (3-4 weeks ago) planted a few native shrubs on an empty hillside next to my house - Carpenteria californica, ]Dendromecon harfordii, and Ceanothus "Dark Star". All of the plants have been doing great and sending out lots of new growth, except the Ceanothus, which looks like it might be dying? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, especially since the bush poppy is really taking off and they're supposed to be very sensitive to being transplanted.

The plant is on an east-facing, relatively steep slope with clay soil. Other houses around the area have Ceanothus that grow fine, so I'm at a loss as to what I can do. When I planted it, the ground was uniformly moist (not wet), from recent rain, and we've been having light showers off and on for the past couple weeks that keep the ground moist, as evidenced by the green grass.

But for some reason, the bottom leaves of the plant are turning brown and they fall off very easily when touched. What is this a symptom of? The newer growth at the top of the branches is still pretty green, but doesn't look as good as when the plant was bought (probably because the deer have been browsing on it a bit). This has not been a sudden change, it's been slowly turning more and more brown since I planted it. Right after I planted it, we had a rain-free period that lasted about 1.5-2 weeks and the soil got kind of dry, so I did water the plant once but have not since then.

No fertilizers have been applied and I filled planting hole with the soil that came out of it. I know Ceanothus generally hates it when you try to take care of it, but does this one look like it needs some TLC?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting