SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heleninramsey

Nearing Halloween, is anybody else cursed?

heleninramsey
16 years ago

It is the time of year to plant bulbs, I'm gonna do it again, even though I seem to be cursed when it comes to spring blooming bulbs.

My first year in Minnesota I planted tulips in my front yard...the day that they bloomed, it snowed on them, like 5 inches of snow...but I planted again the next year.

The next year my tulips failed to develope stems, no long lovely tulips blowing in the wind, they were short...really short, they bloomed about one inch above the soil line, and I still don't know why.

We moved to my current home and once again I planted tulips. It was a bear to plant them, I wanted them under a tree with my rhododendrons, so I tediously worked them in among the tree roots, I could envision them blooming and blowing in the breeze with the PJM blossoming and the crabapple tree in all of its glory. All the pieces were falling into place, the PJM bloomed (it was almost finished, but still blooming) the crabappple was starting to bloom and the tulips were budded and ready to go. I woke up one morning, the morning I was sure that the tulips would be open, to find that the deer had eaten the buds off of every tulip but 2...Aaaarrrgghhh

The final blow happened two years later. I read in a garden mag about planting crocus corms in the grass, particularly under trees, it would look like a shower of flowers in the spring, and when they were done blooming, you would just mow like usual. So I painstakingly planted a bag of 100 crocus in my front yard under an ash tree. I also put some tulips, here and there, in the landscaping. My new yellow lab, Daggett, was about a year old. He kept me company as I planted. That night he spent alot of time outside and I thought nothing of it, it was a really nice evening. The next morning I left on my run, before the sun was up, as usual. When I returned home I saw why Daggett had been outside so long. He had dug up and eaten every bulb that I had planted. The crocus that were planted in the grass were dug out (not as neatly as I had planted them either) I had such a mess! I had to reseed a huge amount of lawn. The tulips were gone too, and I could have cried. To add insult to injury, he threw most of them up again, in the house of course.

I still put in bulbs...learning from each disaster, and waiting for the next. So that is my garden curse, anybody else similarly vexed?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus