What's wrong with liriope?

IreneW(z7 MD)

Following up on the post about native alternatives to liriope.....I was wondering what is wrong with liriope? I gather from the context, that it is not native, but is it also invasive? It is the only thing that I can get to grow in a small flower bed near where my kids play basketball....so, that's why I was wondering what might be bad about it? I am a rookie here with an interest in native gardens, trying hard to do the "right" things!

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taylmat_OK(z6B Tulsa)

I grow natives and non-natives as well. As long as the exotics are well-behaved and you enjoy them, there is no reason you shouldn't grow them. I think the author of that post was just looking for a native alternative. I guess it all depends on what you want for your landscape.

No one's going to make me give up my sedums and shasta daisies!

Save    
Elaine_NJ6

Many of us simply prefer to grow only native plants.

Save    
plantfreak(z9aKyushuJapan)

Which is funny, because it IS native where I live, and yes, I do grow it! You should see all the damn North American weeds over here! PF

Save    
croakie_SC(SC Zone 8)

And yes, depending on where you live liriope IS invasive.

Save    
shelley_r(7b NC)

It's on the watch list for SC. Watch: Exotic plant species that are considered to be a potential threat to natural plant communities.

Here is a link that might be useful: SC Exotic Pest Plant Council Non-Native Invasive Plant Species List ­

Save    
Treedoc66(6b)

Ah, but Fern Scale is newly discovered feeding on Liriope in my area.
There is hope!

Rx

1 Like Save    
taylmat_OK(z6B Tulsa)

Liriope isn't something I grow anymore, but at a previous home it was already there. I found it to be a very slow spreader and the seed it produced didn't germinate well. That doesn't mean it isn't a problem everywhere, but in my experience it wasn't.

If you choose to grow only natives, that is your choice. My choice is to grow a landscape that is attractive to wildlife and requires a minimum of care by me or a future homeowner. Invasive spreaders aren't allowed. The balance in my landscape is about 90/10 natives, because of those requirements. They simply perform better under the typically droughty conditions here. Plus, I think Oklahoma has beautiful flora and I love bragging that most of what I grow came from right here.

1 Like Save    
organica(7RichmondVA)

I just spent two hours digging liriope invasions out of my front yard, and I'm far from finished. I hate the stuff! The previous owners of my house seem to have preferred all things invasive and exotic, excuse me, "easy to grow." Vinca, English ivy, acuba, liriope, wisteria... Plus I've got mimosa, wild onion, forsythia, Bermuuda grass, Japanese holly...

Save    
phaltyme21(5-6)

Oh, golly, sounds like you need gallons of whichever spray it is that kills everything.

I can sympathize with you, I ended up with hundreds of invasive plants. I did not know this at the time. Some came from my mother and some from a woman that grew wild flowers and I bought an assortment she had donated to a Public Television Auction. It took me 20-30 years to get rid of all of them and there are still a few hanging around. I wouldn't mind if they would stay where they belong.

Save    
organica(7RichmondVA)

Phaltyme:
A memorable line from the book "The American Weekend Garden,"

...some of the worst weeds will be plants you planted yourself, in the beginning!

It echoes in my head whenever I work in the garden.

So it took you decades to get the stuff out. Some things you can't completely eradicate, without resorting to gallons of poison, which is definitely not the way to go. Ivy will always come in from the next yard over. Vinca is a famous escaper of gardens, it is growing all over California state parks now.

I hope to reach an accommodation with the invaders I can't completely eradicate.

PlantFreak:
I had a great laugh reading your post. Naturally, if Japanese plants are weeds all over the place here, the reverse would be true! But I never thought of it. I suppose there's some sort of justice in the situation.
--O

Save    
getyourleash(z7 Mid-Atl USA)

If you think getting liriope out of your landscape is difficult, try bamboo. I could KILL the previous owners.

1 Like Save    
cjlambert(6b Tulsa)

GYL - everytime I see some TV gardening guru planting bamboo, I cringe. Just say no!

Save    
organica(7RichmondVA)

And even if you don't have bamboo on your own property, your neighbor could!

Save    
pdorland

Goutweed should be labelled an invasive as well. Every place I have lived it has been the bane of my gardening existence. It is planted because it fills in hard to garden spots but takes over everything. And will grow under an barrier down to as far as 2 - 21/2 ft. I hate it. Any little bit left in the garden will sprout into a new plant.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Landscape Design 7 Low-Maintenance Lawn Alternatives
Turf isn't the only ground cover in town. Get a lush no-grass lawn with clover, moss and other easy-care plants
Full Story
Ground Covers Ground Force: 10 Top Ground Covers for Your Garden
Protect your soil from weeds and drought this summer with a living mulch of ground covers
Full Story
Architecture Why Authenticity in Architecture Matters
Is your home's exterior making a promise it doesn't keep? Learn why integrity and consistency are essential for architectural success
Full Story
Our lineup of flooring and carpet gives you options for every look and every budget. We have the experience and... Read More
Designs & Interiors by The Upholstery Shop has been proudly leading the residential and commercial interior... Read More