SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oswegian

Crazy snapdragons living between the flagstones

Oswegian
19 years ago

Last year I had bought a couple packs of yellow dwarf snapdragons to put in pots, and they did really well. They produced a lot of seed pods and reseeded in their pot this year, but not only that -- they went everywhere and are growing between the crevices on our flagstone patio.

It's limestone screenings between the crevices, not soil. I guess I must have swept the seeds off the porch onto the patio last year. I mean they are a solid mass of little dwarf snapdragon blooms, almost like a rock garden. They are blooming like crazy. It's gotta be hot and dry out there by those flagstones.

Do you think the flagstones are keeping the area moist underneath them, though? Water wouldn't evaporate very fast if it ran under there. I don't know how they are thriving, but I decided to help those who help themselves and started watering and fertilizing them.

Turned out there were a few color variations hidden in the genes, too. Six or seven bunches turned out purple, red, orange, peach, etc. It was an interesting illustration of my high school biology unit on Gregor Mendel.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting