SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazytngardener

Wisteria instead of trumpet creeper

lazytngardener
19 years ago

I've got a wrap-around porch with trumpet creeper growing up columns on the west side. These grow aggressively, which is fine, but they don't bloom much. Due to trees that side of the house doesn't get much sun after the foliage on the trees gets full. This year I cut the thing back a lot because someone told me that would encourage more blooms, but I've been thinking about cutting it down, eradicating it, and replacing it with wisteria (American wisteria (w. frutescens) or Kentucky wisteria (w. macrostachys)). So here are the questions:

what do you all think?

How do you eradicate trumpet creeper?

how long does the native wisterias take to bloom, and do they require season long sunlight? (I guess I'm hoping that they bloom earlier in the season and will therefore bloom nicely in the springtime).

I love trumpet creeper and I have a nice one on a tree in the front yard. It doesn't bloom much either but its way high and its fun to pick out the little blooms up in the tree. But, seeing the wisteria growing wild has me thinking as my wife really likes it. (Of course I'm guessing most of that I see wild is really Asian wisteria run amok.)

Anyway, thanks!! I searched & didn't see anything quite like this so I'm posting.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions