SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charmed_gw

further questions about Norway Maple and Serviceberry

charmed
18 years ago

My husband and I have definitely decided to either remove the Norway Maple in our backyard, or to turn it into a snag. It's trunk diameter isn't really big enough to be very useful (only about a foot) but we thought it would make a nice support for a native climbing rose or virginia creeper, and perhaps provide shelter for smaller cavity nesters. We're concerned though that leaving the tree, even once it's dead, will cause the toxins to persist longer. Since we are planting our serviceberry within about 8ft of the maple, this could be a problem.

Another difficulty I'm having is that the site I selected for the serviceberry is a tangle of roots from the Maple, and very clay-ey. I've been clipping the roots as I dig and had decided to buy a bag of garden soil or compost at the garden store to amend the soil, but I'm taking a break to rethink this and to ask for advice. I don't have a lot of space, but I could probably come up with an alternate spot for the serviceberry if the current site is truly impractical. What do you all think? This may well be a foolish question, but I'm new to gardening and want to make sure I don't make costly mistakes. Any advice?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County