Anyone need tree saplings?

laylaa(7b)

Is anyone doing a restoration project and looking for tree saplings? I've been cleaning out my woods and with the canpoy level vine invasives gone, I am suddenly getting sun to the woods floor. The result is a gillion tree saplings. Before I clean these out I wanted to check if anyone had a use for them. They are the usual suspects in southern woodland species - oak, including live, beech, maples, maybe witch hazel can not tell yet, native dogwood, wild cherry, probably sassafras (true seedlings) since I had so much last year, eastern red cedar (not easy to transplant unless you want very small ones), HOPEFULLY Crataegus flava which is just leafing out, heaven knows what. Loads of hearts a bustin which no, is not a tree but by golly I have a lot of it.

If anyone was interested please let me know. I'll leave them be until they leaf out to be identified for exact species. Most of them are about 2' tall, some taller.

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueridgemtngrl(6b)

I'd love some witch hazel (if you find some) and some dogwood. I don't have any witch hazel growing on my property. I have dogwood but just love them.

Please look at my trade list. Unfortunately I probably have a lot of what you have already, since I mostly have what grows on my property naturally.

Jeanne

Save    
laylaa(7b)

Jeanne - I'd be happy to send dogwoods. My woods has a lot of them thankfully. Who knew you could have too many - I have a tough time throwing them away. It's Cornus florida. Witch hazel I am working on, peering at leaves daily. Please send me an email to karyls at gmail.com (remove spaces, change @)

I should really post this in exchanges but figured native people would be more interested.

Save    
ellix(augusta ga)

I too am interested in witch hazel, dogwood and wild cherry. I will send e-mail. Thanks, Molly

Save    
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

Do you have any Nyssa sylvatica?

Save    
laylaa(7b)

jqpublic - I am not sure. This isn't one that I could readily identify, but I do have the right environment and types of trees it usually grows with. I'll keep an eye out and if I see what I think may be Nyssa sylvatica, take some photos and ask.

Save    
guardenman

I'd love some beechs and dogwoods.

Save    
mikeinfrederick

I'm doing a restoration project too! Where there once was a tree-line, years ago, I'm replanting in the hopes of creating a haven for some wildlife in this ever-expanding suburban sprawl. I have less than an acre, but the back of it leads to a stream and meadow. If only there was a place for small critters to escape the wide open!

So, I'm slowly planting dogwoods and a few firs. Wild cherry would be lovely for the birds...

If you have some to spare still, please contact me.

Thanks

Michael

Save    
laylaa(7b)

hey guys, those of you I have not answered. Things got hectic around here this week. mikeinfrederick and guardenman, please send me an email to karyls at gmail.com (remove spaces, change @). Monday is my mail day so all will go out then. Other things are coming up I am needing to get good ids on - meaning I need to go around with a camera and several books.

Save    
goldfishgray

do you have any fruit trees? i would like some dogwood.
e-mail me at: goldfishgray@yahoo.com
if you have any more.

Save    
eshore21814(z7Chesapeake)

Hi Karyn.

Thought you'd like to know that one of the Crataegus you sent to me has pulled through. After looking for all the world like a leafless twig just stuck into the dirt for the last few weeks, it has now sprouted a few leaves in two spots near the base! I am thrilled.

I will keep after the other one and hope for the same results. Thank you again.

Heather (in Maryland)

Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

Hi. Just saw your post. If you have any saplings left, please email me at cynthiaevans52@gmail.com
Although I have large trees, I could use some dogwoods as understory trees. We also seem to have some sudden oak death issues around here lately, so I am letting some of our volunteer saplings grow. So wonderful of you to share!

Save    
aliska12000(Z5)

Could the hearts be Eastern Redbud? I've grown some from seed. They take 7 years to flower I understand, beautiful addition to a woodland garden.

I'd love some dogwoods but have no more room for trees and the only two I tried finally died, one almost immediately. I know they need acidic soil.

Save    
ddwatsond_hotmail_com

I am getting married in July and wanted to give saplings as favors. I was thinking about going with pine because we have a very limited budget, but I would much rather have a variety, so I am not picky. I am also looking for some for personal use. We are going to build a house in a few years, and I would like to have more trees already started. I have always said don't send flowers to my funeral, send trees. I thought the wedding favor idea was great. A person can never have too many trees.

Save    
laylaa(7b)

hey everyone, this original post is over a year old and I am still getting emails. Sorry but the land has since been cleaned up so saplings are all gone.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Community Community Building Just About Anyone Can Do
Strengthen neighborhoods and pride of place by setting up more public spaces — even small, temporary ones can make a big difference
Full Story
Budget Decorating The Cure for Houzz Envy: Entryway Touches Anyone Can Do
Make a smashing first impression with just one or two affordable design moves
Full Story
Mudrooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Mudroom Touches Anyone Can Do
Make a utilitarian mudroom snazzier and better organized with these cheap and easy ideas
Full Story