SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fossilnut

Want to 'Go Native'....Need help!

fossilnut
18 years ago

In trying to figure out what native plants and wildflowers to plant at our new waterfront cabin in NE Washington, I've been searching the web as well as looking through catalogs on wildflowers to get an idea of what my planting options are. I need some more help:

In "Wildseed Farms" Wildflowers catalog, they list each plant with all sorts of information including a small range map showing where the plants "occur naturally or are adapted to the environmental conditions." Does that mean that if our land is included in the shaded part of the range map, that that plant would be considered "native" to us?

If it doesn't really mean that, is there any real reason to stay with strictly "native" plants rather than ones "adapted to the environmental conditions". (I'm quoting from the catalog).

Also...Is it better to buy plants or plant from seed? If seed is a reasonable (and obviously much cheaper) option, can I collect seeds from the wild? (and how do I do so) Any other options (like taking cuttings?). I don't want to dig up plants or in any way harm the area.

As near as I can figure out, Republic, Washington doesn't have any plant nurseries (much less "Native" plant nurseries) and my nearest source for plants will be at least 50 miles away and I don't know if they carry natives either. So planting from seeds (bought or collected) would probably be my easiest option if I have a good possibly of success.

Appreciate any info, help or suggestions!

Thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus