SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remembrance

Foraging for Subsistence

remembrance
16 years ago

A question for all of you with survival experience / knowledge:

I am starting to incorporate more wild food into my diet and have become curious as to actually how much, at least in times of the year through november to march or april, of my total calories could realisitically forage / catch at my level of experience. I have plenty of time to spend searching for and harvesting these foods.

Would it be realisitc to try and slowly incorporate more cattail, wapato, spring greens and wild onions / garlic, clover, hog peas and hopniss, parsnip, thistle etc.... ?

Which sources of protein am I missing besides fish and wild game? Which nuts are edible, and how do I discern a rotten nut from a tasty one besides a taste test?

I'm hoping to gradually increase the ammount of time I spend in the woods searching for these wild foods and the percentage of my diet they make up. Right now I am rather inexperienced, but still curious as to the possibilitiy of long-term survival. Obviously the Indians were able to do it, but didn't many of them depend on high calorie foods like maize and squash through the winter?

Comments (29)

Sponsored