Looking for Wild Rose Hips (Rosa Cannina)

Mkthomas2

My mom and I picked wild rose hips from the wild (near the San Luis Valley region in Colorado) when I was a child. She has passed and I now live in Indiana and am wondering if there's a known location in the Midwest to find and pick rose hips. I'd be happy to pick enough for you and me if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzantailor

Sorry, I have only read about this plant, never had a chance of seeing it.

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Any of the roses are going to produce "rose hips" (the fruit). The quality of them for any purpose is going to vary (from individual plant to plant as well as species).
Rosa cannina is NOT a native US plant.
If you have any places that you feel free to wander, I'd just wander about in Sept/October and see what you find. No rose hip is going to be toxic (by nature), though the amount of vitamin C will vary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Hips

Save    
Mkthomas2

Thanks so much. Going to ask my friends with acreage to see if they've seen any wild roses growing on their land....and thanks for the link. :)

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I'd be horribly suprised if they didn't...whether pasture land, woodland, or prairie. Roses seem to occur anywhere and are quite umm the survivalist.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Rosa Californica
Plant California wild rose for easy care and a touch of romance in your native garden
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Rosa Banksiae a Low-Maintenance Beauty
This thornless, disease- and insect-resistant rose brings showers of white or yellow flowers to the spring garden
Full Story
Industrial Style My Houzz: From Raw Space to Hip Home in a Converted Utah Garage
Creative repurposing with an industrial edge defines the first home of an engaged couple in Salt Lake City
Full Story
At Angel Home Enterprise, Inc., we've built our livelihoods on improving the living environments of our clients.... Read More