SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

What perennials do you wish you had never planted?

jel48
16 years ago

So what plants wouldn't you plant if you had it all to do over again? This could include plants that just haven't done well, or didn't turn out to be what you thought they would be, or just plain thugs that have taken over your garden (or are trying to)!

I think that, given the chance to 'do over', I wouldn't have planted:

Asters (not sure what variety I have, but they spread and aren't that pretty).

Salvia nemorosa ÂAmethyst - just too big and floppy. I think I could find a salvia that I'd like much better.

Echinacea Purpea 'Magnus' - another variety that is too tall and big for my tastes. I like coneflowers, but think I'd like another variety better.

And most of all, I wouldn't have planted either of the silverish foliage plants that my neighbor (Sara) gave me. She did warn me that they tend to spread, and she was right. Even though I cut the bottom out of gallon size pots and planted the pots right around the plants (as if THAT was going to stop them), these have been the real thugs in my garden and may be cause for regrets for years to come.

So what can all of you add to the list?

Comments (25)

• meeperx
    16 years ago

I have a small yard-so my invasives might be your 'spreads well' but here goes:

Artemisia 'silver mound'-looks pretty in the pot-floppy and nasty after a month or so-spreads like crazy too.

Common Orange Daylilies-foliage turns ugly not long after blooming-very invasive.

'Ribbon Grass'

Tall garden phlox-looks pretty in bloom but it spreads like crazy-choking out other plants. I have found volcano phlox to be much better behaved.

Columbine-looks good in flower-then ugly after that-also spreads like crazy. I finally pulled it all out. I would like to try the short, red native species I remember from my childhood-but that's about it.

Blackberry Lily-flowers are pretty-and the seeds are great for drying-but in a clump-the plant is not that attractive, and the flowers only last for a day each.

Trollius, Japanese Iris, Endless Summer Hydrangea (Water needs are just too high)

Blue Fescue-I like Blue Oat Grass much better

Helleborus 'Royal Heritage'-In 3 years-I have yet to see it flower

Euphorbia polychroma (Cushion Spurge) Spreads too much-and I don't really like the spring color-the acid yellow bracts give me the pip-I like Euphorbia dulcis 'Chameleon' (purplish leaves) much better.

Astrantia -started out red-now returns every year with a couple of dull, pinkish white flowers

Other plants:

Looking Glass Brunnera-expensive and fussy-died both times I tried it.

Others that failed to return: Knautia, Gallardia 'Oranges and Lemons', Irish Moss, Forget-Me-Nots, Japanese Anemone, Iceland Poppy, Scabiosa, some of the low growing sedums, Bugleweed, violets, violas, hardy mums, Oenothera (any), varigated Obediant Plant, Verbascum, Vinca 'Illumination'

I happen to like dwarf asters-even though they spread because I can throw out/give away the extras-and they replace 'hardy mums' for me-which I have never found to actually be hardy. The taller varieties I have (bluebird, wood's pink) haven't spread that much at all.

• izzy58
    16 years ago

hahaha this is funny...

astillbe: both i have planted have died... too fussy

clematis: never bloomed yet; just brown leaves and skinny vines

i hope my oranges and lemons come back... my liatris just fizzled out this summer; and i hope my "miss manners" obedient plant comes back... and maybe, just maybe now that i know NOT to chop my hydrangeas down in fall they might flower next year. one flowered this year and it is beautiful but i have this huge bush right in front of it called i think centauria or something like that. 3/4 of the plants in my yard i inherited when we bought the house a year ago... so i am still muddling through what is what. my salvia that was already here looks "leggy" so can it be pruned or split and if so when, fall or spring? lol

• Related Discussions

What do you wish you had NEVER planted?

Q

Comments (59)
    Ricky, I use huge leather welding gloves and the same tool as you. How about after they fall and need to be picked up and hauled to the curb? How about while carrying them, dont you get punctures in your hips and arms from the branches sticking out over the top of the can? And then when walking out to the curb (barefooted) to get the empty cans and stepping onto small chunks of these poison tipped organic hypodermic needles that missed the truck? The answer sounds like 'book' material to me! I am waiting to hear 'Karen does THAT part'
    ...See More

What Do You Wish You NEVER planted?

Q

Comments (144)
    Wow, what a great thread! The bane of my yard existance over the last 15 years has been English Ivy overtaking the entire back yard and trees in a wooded setting from 8 small plants 12 years ago planted to cover a small bed. Tried to control with cutting and spraying but it just keeps popping up and is almost impossible to remove from trees. Next on my list is Vinca Major, pertty flowers but extremely invasive, pull, pull, pull and yet it comes back every year. And last but not least, Wisteria! What an invasive plant, spreads via runners and will grow 12" overnight. I think these are the plants that covered the Inca monuments with their growth rate. Ha!
    ...See More

What do you wish you'd never planted (2)?

Q

Comments (128)
    Dottie, if you check in, I'm still out here, just been real busy with the new place. I moved a little closer to you. The new place is in the Woodhall subdivision across the street from the new Marvin schools. I have to go in search of the cord that connects my camera with the computer so I can download pictures for you. With 4 acres I can say that I'll never be done here, but that is a good thing! I am trying my hand at veggie gardening for the first time this year, I put in some raised beds for asparagus, strawberries, tomatoes (of course), cucumbers, peppers, corn, beans and melons. And I planted a mini orchard with a dozen dwarf fruit trees last fall. Unfortunately, the drought claimed the fig and three varieties of cherries, but the surviving trees must be pretty tough cause they survived with only minimal water (none from me). Did you ever ID that pretty little yellow flower that bloooms in late summer along all the local roads? I think you mentioned that it was in the woods behind your place. Do you still attend the garden club? I've heard rumor of one in Waxhaw but can't seem to find out where or when they meet.
    ...See More

Do or die time- What do you wish someone had told you?

Q

Comments (33)
    I wish I knew then about making sure that the flooring contractor would check on how level the slab was. Midway through laying the ceramic in the kitchen, his guy came upon a hump in the floor and although they made it work, well that was stupid. Don't skimp on the floors if you get tile. Go for something that's nice and flat (no beveling) so the mop will at least touch the grout, and of a high hardness. Mine is chipping where they meet from things being dropped on it. If I had to do it over, I actually think I'd go for the highest quality, cushioned vinyl roll out on the market, or at least a very high quality porcelain tile. I had Kentile (sp) in my old kitchen that was 15 years old and looked like new. Can't get it anymore, but sometimes I wish I'd pulled those tiles up and brought them with me! I didn't want wood because I have an engineered wood, BR1111 Amendiom surrounding the kitchen, and it's entirely too soft and scratches too easily for kitchen use. And, what a nightmare that would have been with them trying to glue down those floors on a big hump in the slab. I'm waiting and gathering before I proceed further, to soak up as much as I can from the experience here.
    ...See More
  • hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Fanfare Gaillardia, tried it twice and it didn't make it through the winter either time. Echinacea Sunrise, didn't survive the winter, Echinacea Sunset, the petals stay rolled like quills, think it'll be coming out, orange ditch daylily, ok I didn't plant it I got it with the house. Creeping Jenny, Bishops Weed, both came with the house; I finally got rid of the Bishops Weed when the county did some road work and took out some trees and the Bishop's Weed with it. Don't know if I'll ever completely be rid of the Creeping Jenny. Buttercup, Buttered Popcorn is just as nasty and then there's snowdrop anemone, hmm didn't plant that one either. I'm sure with a little more thought I could come up with some more but those are a good start.

• izzy58
    16 years ago

omgggggggggg i just love gaillardia and i have planted at least 5 varities this year because my moms is sooooooo beautiful.... i sure hope mine all come back because they are all doing so well...grrrrrrrrrrr!! but of the two foxgloves i planted last year only one came back but it is very hardy... i am also worried about my black knight butterfly bush. it is doing wonderful in its large pot but i am hearing that there is not much success with those. i think i will bury the pot for the winter next to the house and plant it in the ground next spring... will it have a better chance if its planted close to the house? i also planted a butterfly garden this spring that took all last winter to plan but its beautiful and i am waiting for the green wizard to bloom... but one plant for sure i wish i didnt plant cuz it just croaked is the blue sea holly.... i want that plant so much but it annoys me that it croaked after it grew so nicely in the beginning...

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

Goose neck loosestrife...I should have known better given its pedigree, I love the flowers but it is such a horrible bully. I don't usually regret the losses, that is just gardening, live and learn, I do regret my own stubborn streak when I plant something over and over again regardless of bad history, I should just accept that some things do not like the conditions of my particular garden.

• mngardener1
    16 years ago

Bee Balm! I planted it 2 years ago and it has taken over! It killed off most of my asiatic lilies and no matter how hard I try, the little buggers seem to pop up all over again!

• lazyweeder
    16 years ago

Out of all I've planted one wicked, wicked, wicked plant comes to mind. That would be campanula glomerata. Pretty flower but it grows into this living breathing creature under the dirt spreading with it's long tentacles.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    16 years ago

Lamb's ears! I planted it years ago, 10+ I think. It took over, so I ripped it out. And have been fighting the stuff ever since. Last year I thought I had succeeded! But nope, there it is again this year!

Anyone want some???

Jenny P

• john_w
    16 years ago

I had the same experience with Gooseneck Loosestrife. Roundup works.

Lily-Of-The-Valley is another pest I can't eradicate. Yes. the flowers are lovely and it does spread, but it looks bad by mid-July, and when it starts to travel under intended barriers... THREE years of selected Roundup has winded it, I think.

Shasta daisies reseed in a terrible way. Ten years after I removed it, I am still finding seedlings.

Violets (see Shasta Daisy). I got this from a 'swap.' I finally realized the reason someone wanted to unload this pretty brute. And to think I actually fertilized and watered them the first year!

Pink and white yarrows. A gift that keeps on giving, to you and your neighbors...

White clover... It began as a well-intended 'green manure' that now pops up everywhere. Attracts rabbits to the garden who then stay to eat other plants. What a disaster.

• rubybaby43
    16 years ago

Columbine-looks good in flower-then ugly after that-also spreads like crazy.

I wish I had this problem with Columbine. Mine does look ugly when the worms get to it but after I cut it back it grows again and looks great.

and then there's snowdrop anemone

Thank you! I planted this (lost my tags...thanks to DH) and I couldn't remember what it was called. It spreads like crazy and is trying to smother my Coral Bells and Coreopsis. I wonder if pulling it will keep it in check...it's on my list of regrets!

I have some crazy maroon yarrow that wasn't a problem at my last place but here it's spreading like wildfire. Another huge regret there.

Purple pansies. What was I thinking? Their little faces are so cute when they first start popping up....but by late spring they are everywhere! Fortunately they pull up easily enough. I've been trying to transplant some into the shady backyard where I don't mind if they spread (though I suspect they won't do so as much as in the sun).

Kristy :)

• leftwood
    16 years ago

After a while, you start to learn to watch for wandering tendencies in any new plant you get. I grew Oenothera speciosum for about half a season before it got the Round up treatment.

Many a gardener has discovered that cutting the bottom out of a mere 1 gallon pot won't stop anything. Two trick here: 1)of course you need a BIG DEEP pot - probably 5 gallons, 2)use heavy soil. Light soils encourage deep rooting, because drainage is good and airborne oxygen is not a limiting factor. Roots need oxygen to grow, and heavy soils limit its availability, because large air pockets are wanting. And the lack of oxygen increases the deeper you go.

• Julie
    16 years ago

Hmmmm...
    How about 2 "Mock Orange" bushes I bought and lovingly grew from tiny little rooted twigs- Only to have them grow WAY too tall- not be the lively chartreuse foliage but a dull green- and worst of all- have NO scent- AND reseed like CRAZY!
    Or the plum trees that send out new trees from their widely sprawling roots-
    Or adenothora "Ladybells"- 'Arch Angel' Lamium, Lily of the Valley, Knautia that reseeds like crazy!!, obedient plant, chenodium, spiderwort, oregano, cherry bells, malvas, cranesbill, All of these are rampant thugs in my garden-
    Some thugs I do like are Raspberry Wine Monarda as opposed to the native fistulosa, I do like hespiris and phlox paniculata- although I have learned to remove seed heads early- I do like ajuga- although I do have to remind it where it is to grow, I do like the tiger lilies- but the babies are just too much!
    Any one else have trouble with raspberries red and black- amaranth- or poppies that seem to pop up all over the place? How about red currents?
    I love the snowdrop anemone, and have yet to have it become a problem-
    As far as those that I have given up on- just think of anything beautiful or unusual that requires moist soil- and I have pretty much been there and killed that- I have a bit of clay soil envy...
    I find those that volunteer themselves such as Grapevines- virginia creeper, creeping charlie, asters, dayflowers, snake root, purse lawn, buckthorn, oaks, maples, elms, ash, boxelders, string of pearls, thistle and grasses tend to be the worst.
    The most hopeful- but least impressive are many of the taller sedum and most artimesias that start out well- and by mid season are floppy and bedraggled looking-
    I think I have given up on foxgloves as well- I have found very few that will come back after their first year- and then they just do not do well at all-
    Although- I have not given up hope that I may find some primrose that may live and possibly thrive in my yard- even though I have killed more than I care to admit...

• meeperx
    16 years ago

Oh yeah-I forgot about reseeding maple trees (boxelder in my case) and hackberry trees. The boxelder is being cut down this winter. I don't know a whole lot about Maples-but I am guessing that they are a better choice when you have a lawn and a lawnmower to keep the seedlings down-versus a garden situation.

I'm keeping the 2 large Hackberries. Hackberries are a bad choice for a city lot-weak branches and reseed like crazy-but the trucks are nice and straight, it's a native tree, and it would be too expensive/too much of a pain to cut them down at this point. With only a few exceptions, the previous occupant of my house seemed to have a penchant for anything invasive and/or inappropiate for a small lot.

Julie-you have a flowering mock orange-I'm jealous-the two I bought 3 years ago haven't done squat in the flowering department. I don't like the leaves either-so next spring I'm taking them out.

Before Ricecreek gardens moved-we talked to the owner about primroses-and she said she had varieties of primrose that were much hardier than the common ones you see at nurseries and big box stores. I didn't purchase any-so I can't say firsthand how well the Ricecreek garden ones hold up-but it might be worth a shot.

I wrestle with the poppy question too. I'm not sure the thrill of 2 or 3 days worth of orange poppy flowers is worth the two month mat of unattractive foliage. I find myself debating on whether or not to get rid them every year-but so far haven't decided to yank them out.

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

"Shasta daisies reseed in a terrible way. Ten years after I removed it, I am still finding seedlings."

I have only been trying for 8 years, it is driving me crazy. It came with the house.

Ribbon grass I can't get rid of it.

Any phlox that gets mildew.

It is interesting to read the lists and see some I love and others I wish would grow for me. Of course others I wouldn't have if given to me.

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

I also have knautia till I am nauseous, but love it and can't be parted from it. It reseeds in my grass and in other perennials. I have a naturalized prairie savanna area at the back of my propery along the river, we put Golden Alexanders there, they are now EVERYWHERE...Does anyone else have Sea Holly reseeding in everything? or Heliopsis?
    Helen.

• john_w
    16 years ago

Malva, how could I forget that one? I had 'Zebrina' for a few years but realized I'd have a whole lot more if I didn't pull it out. That was many years ago. I tossed the plants into the compost pile. Big mistake! I still have Zebrinettes popping up now and then.

Not a perennial, but an hooligan annual is 'Grandma Ott' morning glory. A reseeder that is determined to stay. Guara is another, but that I don't mind. It is one of the few plants to tolerate hot, dry conditions, so I let it reseed in such a spot. But I showed it the Roundup bottle just let it know who's boss.

• laurampls
    16 years ago

Interesting thread!

Snowdrop anemones are thugs.

malva zebrina also dreadful

lobelia syphilitica reseeds everywhere and isn't very pretty. It looks rough and weedy and I'm going to banish it to our alley.

I'll take some of the shasta daisy seedlings as I've put them in four years in a row and they've never once survived! I can't get siberian iris to thrive either and have put new ones in several years in a row.

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

Asters asters...

asters asters asters.... *GRIN*

Hey, I didn't plant them - the woman who started these gardens did that and you know what I think she should do with them?? *mutters something about asters again....* Actually, they are gorgeous when in bloom but they are EVERYWHERE!! I'm constantly weeding them out.
    Oh yes, and white snakeroot and jewelweed. Violets *shrug* easy enough to deal with, I like them.

-Marie

p.s. Yes, I'm back from England - and wow are they damp there! I have some alpine garden pictures for you Rick. When I get stuff organized I'll email them to you :)
    -m

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Thanks Marie. Maybe you'd like to post them on the Alpine and Rock Garden forum. I don't know how you feel about pics on GW anymore, but that forum has been really dead since the "big change" with ivillage. I usually go to the other place.

"Purse lawn" - (Purslane) thanks for the chuckle, Julie. I really shouldn't be talking: I just found out a few days ago that "for all intensive purposes" isn't that at all! LOL I think I take the cake this time.

• tammymn
    16 years ago

Cherry Bell Campanula. It pops up everywhere I didn't plant it.

• meeperx
    16 years ago

I actually love malva zebrina (and mauritiana). It flowers continually till frost and gets up to about 4 feet high. I have received complements from people walking by about what a cool plant it is.

In general- I think I am much more tolerant of reseeders rather than plants that spread via under ground roots.

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

Laurampls
    I will trade you some Shasta daisy seedlings for some of your
    Snowdrop anemones I can't get them to grow. Looks like you are in Mpls so am I.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

My NEVER AGAIN list includes: adenophora, snow on the mountain, lamb's ears, japanese artimesia. I think the "cherry bells" are pretty, but they came up everywhere so I yanked them!

I actually have had no trouble with a lot of the plants you all have chosen here. No prob with daisies, mock orange, astrantia, bee balm, astilbe, etc.

Have had absolutely NO luck with foxgloves, coreopsis "early sunrise" and "limerock ruby", or gaillardia "burgundy". My oriental poppies do well, but I, too am thinking they are not worth the trouble. I pulled my lady's mantle this year, with limited garden space I prefer "showier" plants. Some of you got my "Always Afternoon" daylilies because they were an off color in my soil, I am also pulling my "black eyed stella", and possibly a couple more, same reason as lady's mantle.

There are others I have difficulty growing, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Linda

• meeperx
    16 years ago

limerock ruby isn't hardy here. there were a lot of angry gardeners (myself included) who purchased what they thought were zone 4 plants only to find out next season (and no returning plants) that it had been reclassified as zone 6.

linda, do you have the red astrantia? does it actually stay red for you?

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

No, meeperx, I have a very pale pink astrantia. It's not particularly showy, I may trade it for something else at a swap, we'll see.

I know Rick had red astrantia last summer and it was beautiful. Not sure if it stayed red for him all season, tho. Maybe he'll pop in and give you some info on it.

Linda

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz