Where can I buy canadian columbine?

catherinet(5 IN)

Hi,

Does anyone know a source for canadian columbine? Thanks.

SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

It shouldn't be hard to find a source by searching the internet (i.e Google, etc.). The usual name for this plant is Eastern Columbine, and the latin name is Aquilegia canadensis. This plant grows asily from seed but won't flower in the first year, so you might consider buying a few plants so you have flowers the first year, and planting seed if you want more plants because seed is much cheaper. You could also keep your eyes open for wild plants and collect seed from them. Look for rock ledges in wooded areas and you should be able to find them. The flowers appear in May and june, seed is normally ripe in july and August around here, central PA.

Save    
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks ladyslppr!

Save    
joepyeweed(5b IL)

If you would have posted this a couple weeks ago, I probably could have sent you some seeds. But I've already given them away... sorry :-(

Save    
catherinet(5 IN)

That's okay joepyeweed.........it shouldn't be hard finding seed. Thanks though!
Do you just put the seed in the ground, or do you grow it indoors under growlights?

Save    
joepyeweed(5b IL)

I've done both. I would probably wintersow them in a milk jug. Check out the wintersowing forum on this site.

Save    
davidl_ny5

They are really easy, and self-sow readily. Does prairienursery.com have them? Not really prairie plants, but they have lots of other stuff.

Save    
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks joe and david!

Save    
knottyceltic(S/W Ontario 5b)

I have bought it in the past from "Gardens North" but have stopped purchasing from them as their prices are really high, you get very little seed in some cases and they charge handling fee as well as fee for...for...I forget what the name is but you know how they are inspected for disease, fungus or infestation. I don't know why they made me pay that since I live in Canada but I was miffed by it and decided to stop buying from them. If YOU wanna buy from them then go ahead though. Some seeds come in abundance in a packet while others you may only get 20 seeds for the same price average 4-7.00each. Check it out anyway.

Gardens North

From the site:

AQUILEGIA canadensis Canadian or Wild Columbine 15-30cm Zone: 2
Our own eastern wild columbine and one of the most beautiful species. Grayish-green compound leaves and elegant nodding scarlet and yellow flowers. Prefers an open, sunny site in dryer conditions than many other species. Wild collected in Ontario.
Germination Instructions: Easy, warm germinator.
20 seeds $4.00

Barb

Save    
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks for the heads up Barb.
They are such a beautiful flower.

Save    

They ARE indeed and funny cuz I don't particularly like "red" in my gardens so I have them all edging my little woods rather than in my formal gardens. I had ordered Cardinal Flower seed from Gardens North too and spread more seed around the 2 year plants I have already established hoping a stray hummingbird might spot them and stop for a visit ;o)

Barb

Save    

Cath T... ATTENTION!!!

Dollarama has Asclepias Tuberosa seed (Butterfly Weed) selling for 3pkgs/1.00!!! Beats the hell out of Gardens North price, handling, inspection fees AND shipping.

Save    
nvteecy(z5IL)

Knottyceltic:

Last year I could not figure out why the hummingbirds were ignoring my feeder, only to find them often at my Cardinal Flower. Good luck, it works!

Save    
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks knottyceltic........I'll check that out!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening for Butterflies Great Design Plant: Columbine Grows Happily in Shade and Sun
Its ethereal beauty comes from complex forms and wide-ranging colors, but columbine’s benefits are highly attractive too
Full Story
Exteriors Modern Canadian Homes Showcase Clever Entryways
From hidden doors to sculptural steps, the entrances to these Ontario, Canada, dwellings make homecoming a special pleasure
Full Story
Eclectic Homes My Houzz: Community Matters for a Canadian Café and Home
Celebrating food, play and life, this formerly run-down corner building is now a neighborhood treasure and a family's haven
Full Story