SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninjapixie_gw

Sumac recommendations?

NinjaPixie
18 years ago

In my bird garden, I'd love to plant a sumac of some sort. There are a lot of great recommendations in books I've read, but I haven't been able to determine whether it'd be appropriate for this yard in this climate.

My environment: I'm in a relatively new subdivision, out near the Fox River. We've got 1/4 acre, and the bird garden backs onto a small thicket of mature trees at the east side of the house, with a great mix of sun and shade among various spots. I intend to "beef up" the thicket with one or two shrubs/trees (up to 10' or so, I suppose) that birds will enjoy, and would love some fall color.

I've read that some sumacs tend to sucker and spread aggressively. This makes me think it might be a bit risky for a lot this small (I try to be a good neighbor!), and is best used in wilder areas. I'm more than willing to prune, but don't want to make big promises I can't keep up with in future years.

So... has anyone here had experience with (deliberate) sumac in Chicagoland? Would this planting be super-pesty? Thank you in advance!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville