SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbz4mn

plant seller who ships in pots

15 years ago

I want to order some Hosta (I wish you all would stop displaying those drool producing pictures--NOT REALLY). LOL I remember someone telling about a grower who sends plants in pots that are nice size divisions. Or is there more than one? Thanks. Mary

Comments (46)

• 15 years ago

Hilltop Gardens!! I just received 'Lil Abner' and 'Olive Bailey Langdon' from them and they are
    in the same sized pots I get at the nursery (nursery standard gal.) and they are both multi-eyed
    plants! I'm very happy with the hosta I have ordered from them this year!! You will be, too, I've
    no doubt.

Their prices also include the shipping and the order must be a $20 minimun!!

To get to their main page just type in: www.hilltop-gardens.com/hostas

And, I have their catalog linked below! :o) Have fun!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hilltop Gardens catalog

• 15 years ago

Hilltop Farms.
    Hey_j and I both posted some pics of the plants that we received from them.
    You gotta do a search for Hilltop Farm at the bottom of this forum to see pictures how they ship their plants.
    Really, the prices aren't bad at all considering their prices include the shipping.
    I did my homework before ordering and found that in some cases their prices were cheaper than other places that add $$ for shipping bare roots.
    I've ordered from 4 other places before and I doubt that I'll ever order bare roots again unless I obsolutely want a plant that Hilltop Farm doesn't offer.
    I was that impressed with their plants.
    Oh yeah, and with the price of gas these days, ordering from the comfort of my computer room and having the plants delivered right to my door is a giant plus.

• Related Discussions

planting different plants in one pot

Q

Comments (21)
    Evy, I'm not sure but the first plant looks like Peperomia obtusifolia... Is the leaf thick or thin? Second plant looks like Syngonium/Arrowhead Plant. Evy, does the Oyster Plant have Fungus Gnats? If so, it's too bad you didn't see them sooner. There were a few things you could have done. In the future, make sure soil dries between waterings. Not to the point it cracks..The top should look crumbly..Stick your finger or a stick inside the soil. If your finger or stick comes out wet/moist, the soil is still wet in the center to bottom. If dry, it's time for a drink. Plants in the Rhoeo family, like Oyster and Moses don't like wet feet. Sometimes, the top is dry, but the center and bottom will be wet. It depends on soils, pot material, house temp and sun. That's the reason it's best to insert your finger/stick in the soil. I agree, Oyster Plants are hard to find. However, they're sold online, not too difficult to find. Rhizo..nope, cats and birds don't mix..especially smaller parrots like Parakeets and Cockatiels. We had birds and a cat, Halloween. He knew not to bother the birds, but when we left the house, the birds were caged. He was great with them, but we all know a cats instincts..17-yr-old Halloween passed away a few summers ago. As long as we have birds, I'd never get another cat..'though I love them.' However my birds are precious. So, no matter how much we adore felines, our birds safety comes first. Sorry Evy..") Toni It's sooo funny Georgia fed Homer..what's funnier is Homer ate Nutra Berries. lol..Toni Compare 'inserting finger or stick' to baking a cake. When you insert a toothpick to check if the inside is done?? If you bake, you'll know what I mean. lol.
    ...See More

Help to locate an e-bay seller who has the exclusive roses from M

Q

Comments (42)
    terryjean - about the hardiness being listed as zone 7; Most of the HT's listed on HMFR are listed that way and I have found very few that I had trouble getting through a southern Michigan winter. There might not be much left of the prior years' canes, but they always seem to come back fine. Really, the only ones I have had troubles with are roses that are on Dr. Huey, and were body bags the prior year. The only HT not a body bag (off the top of my head) that I had trouble was Jocelyn. I finally gave that rose up just this year after trying for 4 years. This includes a lot of florist roses I have propagated and then left it to fend for itself for the winter.
    ...See More

new plants from gardino and ebay seller

Q

Comments (9)
    Pirate girl, Gardino's is in Delray Beach, FL. SE Coast, north of Miami.Their website is rareflora.com. No, I'm not getting paid to mention them, LOL. I have ordered from them and the two plants I got I really love. I bought (2)-4" Pink Silver Pubicalyx, potted it together in a 6" pot. I'll order from them again for sure. The Hoyas at our Lowe's, Wally world and H.Depot are so far and few between. They rarely get them, and when they do its always the same ones I already have. My P. Silver has grown quite a bit in just a little over two months. I bought it March 20. I am so looking forward to getting flowers from this one. From the pics that I have seen here, I can't wait.
    ...See More

Who knew!!! Shipping plant material state to state was illegal!

Q

Comments (5)
    I remember that post/thread on Facebook ... didn't an Ag Inspector jump in (or someone quoted one)? I remember them saying that if you're selling locally, and only occasionally, they don't really crack down on you, but if you're selling regularly (they keep tabs on who sells on Craigslist and Ebay, apparently, and how much you sell) and don't have the proper permits/nursery license, then you get busted. That person also said that shipping across state lines was a big no-no, unless you are a registered nursery with all the proper phyto certificates and what-not. You can look up your state's regulations on your state's Dept of Ag website. The FB group where that was posted seemed unfazed at the time, but I wondered if that was part of the reason why it disappeared (or was made secret, or whatever). I was reading through some of CA's information - apparently if you're moving to CA, you're not supposed to bring any plants with you that were grown outside at any point - you can only bring indoor-grown plants (with no bugs or disease) in commercial, sterile potting soil. When I moved to CA (drove in from Boston), I didn't see any border inspectors, but I'm told that they do exist. Now that I think about it, didn't someone try and report the Morgans when they had that last big clear-out sale? (They had the proper license for selling, so it wasn't an issue.) I think that was part of whatever that discussion was.
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

Opps, I thought they were called Hilltop Farms. Sorry.
    Janice, I must of been typing as you were submitting your post.

• 15 years ago

I hit Bluestone Periennals earlier this month, and got some great plants in pots.

• 15 years ago

Why do you want them shipped in pots? There is no particular advantage in receiving the pot or the soil.

And I'm not saying that Hilltop Farms doesn't have nice plants!

• 15 years ago

EO, IMHO there's a pretty significent difference in planting potted plants vs. bare roots.

I remember reading about it someplace so I did some checking and found the following statement on
    the Wade Garden website under PLANTING AND CARE OF HOSTAS

HOW TO PLANT:

"Potted hostas cost more, but the extra rewards are that they establish faster, grow better and usually are larger, older plants to start with."

If Wade said it, it's gotta be the gospel, right? LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: wade garden

• 15 years ago

Sassy, I hate to start this discussion, fasten your seatbelts its going to be a bumpy ride.

A potted plant may be older and it may not.

For a plant to become established is must become involved with the soil it is planted in. I usually bare root the plant then plant it.

The media used may interfere with the plant becoming established.

The final sacrilege, Wades statement has no horticulture basis and IMHO it is wrong.

IMHO, who ever said EO is humble doesnÂt know him very well.

• 15 years ago

Whooeeeee--am I confused or what!!!!!! I wanted bigger specimens (after my experience with teeny tcs that will take 5 years to look like a Hosta). And I hate mucking around with all those tangled roots from bare root plants--I never know how to get them in the dirt right whereas a pot just gets plopped in the hole and covered, and their roots are already headed in the right direction. EO, I will admit I was very surprised by the statement that "the media may interfere with the plant becoming established". I had never heard of that before. Whenever I dig up a plant that I have recently planted, I see all these roots eagerly escaping their original area and heading straight into the surrounding soil as if it's a place they want to be!!!!!! I thrive on learning new stuff, and you have indeed given me something new to mull over. LOL Mary

• 15 years ago

Get them from Hilltop Farms! You won't be disappointed--they are often MANY eyes--which will give you a great start!

I've had no problems getting my hosta to grow, with gently teasing the roots out a bit and planting them. Maybe they
    would be GIANTS sooner if I completely removed all soil from them first but I'm not complaining with my results--too
    much :o)! You can always wash the growing medium off the roots if you like, but they suffer far less stress, in being
    shipped IMO being in their pots! Then you can water the daylights out of them and plant them as you wish!

I've had NO prolems with those I've received potted and love the size Hilltop sends me!
    Keep it simple--don't over-think this issue (as E.O. likes to say)--for more eyes and a very reasonable price--despite
    them being in the pots--I go with Hilltop these days! I don't see the problem! But, do what you feel most comfortable
    doing, in any case--it's your call, afterall! :o)

Hosta are pretty durable and will likely survive no matter which way you go! If you order from people this forum
    recommends, you will likely be pleased, and Hilltop has sent me the most sizable in terms of numbers of eyes of
    any I've ordered from.

I've also gotten very nice quality hosta from Hallson's, Northern Grown Perennials and Naylors' for online but
    there will be shipping to factor in above the cost of the hosta. Again,I like it, that Hilltop has the shipping already
    included in their pricing of the individual hosta--easy for me to figure what I'm spending as I go through their catalog!

• 15 years ago

"I wanted bigger specimens (after my experience with teeny tcs that will take 5 years to look like a Hosta)."
    Mary

One question at a time, when you get tired I'll quit?

A young TC plant may very well take longer than a potted plant that has grown in the pot for a longer period of time but the pot has nothing to do with it, time is the question. Some growers grow in the soil then bare-root and ship, these are usually divisions rather than potted tc plants and could be the best buy of all.

If you want a plant to be bigger sooner for you then you want to buy roots and often an older plant that has been growing in a pot will fit the bill. A division from an existing plant then grown on for year in the soil will really give you a jump. BIG BUTT most new introductions will not be available this way.

Hilltop Gardens appears to have grown plants a year longer than a cheap TC plant you might find on E-Bay but again we are talking about growing time and one must pay for the growers time.

• 15 years ago

"Keep it simple--don't over-think this issue (as E.O. likes to say)"
    hey_j

Janice is right I am over thinking for this reason; to address the question that "hosta are somehow better or bigger in pot". This isn't true, now what Janice says about the plants Hilltop Gardens ships is true. Hilltop ships a nice plant with roots, which is what I'm saying that has also probably been grown another year but the pot has nothing to do with it. Aahostas and others also have nice plants and you donÂt need to pay for shipping the pot and soil.

Van's advice about pots is probably good for someone who doesn't know a hosta from a toad stool but I don't want to talk down to the people on this list who I assume want to know the horticulture of hosta.

• 15 years ago

I just had my first mail order experience ever this past month. All of the hosta that I ordered were shipped bare root and were humungous. It has been 22 days since I planted them and many of them are sending up several eyes for each division that I received. I couldn't have been more surprised. The divisions looked like they came from well established plants. Many were thicker than the ones in my garden that were bought at nurseries in pots and planted last summer.

I was surprised at how they were shipped though. They were all rubber banded with their tags and layered in with shredded newspaper. The roots weren't wrapped in any type of media to keep them moist. They all made it just fine though, even with the heat that they were transported in. Is this typical for bare root mail order hosta?

• 15 years ago

"Is this typical for bare root mail order hosta?"
    tracyvine

Very typical, 100,000 are shipped this way. In fact, trees are bare rooted and shipped as far as from Oregon to the east coast bare root in semi-loads.

I would do this upon receipt; put them in water over the crown for 2 days then plant, be sure the roots are hydrated. This not to say the roots are not hydrated but be sure they are before you plant.

Then keep these new plants watered to help them to get involved with the soil you plant in. Hosta want a lot of water period but especially when newly planted.

• 15 years ago

Shipping small/mini Hostas in pots or in original growing medium, enclosed in a plastic bag is OK for me, but for larger Hostas, I prefer bare root(properly prepared, of course!). Let the grower untangle all of those encircled and intertwined roots, so that I can readily see if they are healthy and robust enough to support the accompanying foliage!
    I have purchased potted Hostas that were forced with frequent applications of Nitrogen and vast amounts of water to produce large foliage displays, but when unpotted and the medium washed off, had little supportive root system.
    I don't need to explain to any Hosta grower what will happen to those plants.
    The Hostas from Bob & Nancy Solberg(Green Hill Farm)have the best root mass I have found from any grower and I've ordered from dozens over the years.
    Through the years, regardless of how they were packaged for shipment, I have always followed the advice offered (above) by E-O, by soaking the roots and crown in a tub or bucket of rainwater for 24-48(or more) hours, for rehydration, before planting. It has always worked for me! MHO
    Rb

• 15 years ago

Aren't hosta just wonderful--toughest little plants out there, a big step above the tenacity of a weed!!!
    They can take abuse and pampering and perform beautifully---usually! :o

Go for it--get what you want from a reputable dealer and you'll be happy in any case--that's what we love
    about this forum--people's experience and opinions without bias or a sale's pitch! :o)

You've received some good 'experience' and advice!

• 15 years ago

Well,all I can add is the only reason why I don't order plants bare-root. My one and only bare root order came from Wade Gardens,and they were crummy. The plants were all busted up,like they were just pulled up from the ground by the roots! Also Wade and Gatton charges you by the number of eyes,not plant gallon size. On the other hand,if you go personally,to their place,you can,as I did,get some really nice plants,but then again,they still charge by the eye. I still prefer to buy plants at a nursery in pots. There,you can pick your own plants,and the price of the plant,regardless of how many eyes are in the pot,it's the same price. Just MHO,for what it's worth. For the record,Janice,my Olive Bailey langdon came from a local nursery near here. Thes are just MHO's and not necessarily others opinions on this forum! Lol! Phil

• 15 years ago

"EO, I will admit I was very surprised by the statement that "the media may interfere with the plant becoming established".
    Mary

Whole new subject, the hydrology of the media and the soil you are planting in. Different media/soils may have trouble exchanging water so a particular potting media may not accept water from a particular soil. Potted hosta may be grown in a pine based media or a sphagnum based media or even composted rice hulls. Different medias have different percolation, soil air, capillary and moisture holding properties. DonÂt waste much time thinking about this but stone in the bottom of a pot does not help drainage, counter intuitive but true and a longer story than you will want to hear.

Now we have a potted hosta and don't really know the relationship between your potted plant and your soil. Decant the plant and allow the soil that will fall off or can be shaken off easily and leave the rest and plant in your soil. This plant must live in your soil and the sooner it establishes a symbiotic relationship the better and it must if it is to prosper. If bare root plant it in your soil and water. Fancy planting hole doesn't help and may hurt.

IÂve talked about a lot that doesnÂt matter in the end, get it in your soil as gently as possible and water and feed your soil and everything will work.

• 15 years ago

Sooo, EO,

Are you saying a potted hosta has dirt/media and then your garden has dirt/soil and those 2 types of dirt might not jive? They might but you don't have a way to know. And, for instance, you could possibly have garden soil that wicks away moisture from the media if it remains on the roots when the hosta is planted into the garden?

So then are you saying whatever way you purchase the hosta (for whatever reason)...are you saying to mostly remove any dirt/media, if there is any, so the new plant can have a relationship with the garden dirt/soil? So this would also hold up when getting a division from someone...to knock off the old soil?

Gah...my brain hurts. But still fun trying to noodle it out.

• 15 years ago

" Decant the plant and allow the soil that will fall off or can be shaken off easily
    and leave the rest and plant in your soil."

That's what I do, unless they are so root bound, that I have to sacrifice some of the
    finer roots to loosen the ball!

• 15 years ago

EO, thanks for your answer! I only soaked them for one day, wish I had checked here first, but fortunately we've been getting some major soaking rain since I planted. Happily they are all doing well.

Now, on to the potted medium not allowing for exchange of nutrients in the soil. I think I may have recently experienced this with a rhodie (I know, not a hosta) that was doing poorly in my garden. I redid the bed and unearthed it to move it somewhere more to it's liking. When I dug it up the root ball was still in the shape of the pot that it came from 3 years ago. I had untangled the finer roots when I planted it in the first place but that didn't seem to matter. The roots all were extremely compacted and had never branched out in my soil. The potting medium that was used seemed to be more of a soil-less mix with bits of bark in it. While my soil was heavy clay with humus and manure to amend it at the time.

Tracy

• 15 years ago

Mary, you orginally asked where you can buy potted plants.
    These pics are the best answer to your question.
    I should have taken some pics of their roots inside those pots.
    The plants are thriving.

Hilltop Gardens!!! Hilltop Gardens!!! Hilltop Gardens!!!

action=view¤t=qt.jpg" target="_blank">

• 15 years ago

"While my soil was heavy clay with humus and manure to amend it at the time."
    Tracy

Rhodies, Azaleas, Mtn Laurel, etc are a much different planting/growing situation.

Unlike hosta that love clay soil, rhodies, etc do NOT.

Plant them virtually on top of the soil covered with pine bark mulch then keep them watered. Go a rhodie forum or start a search for planting and growing instructions.

Email me off line or call 502-594-8363 and IÂll go into more detail if you like.

Wilddog_202@yahoo.com

• 15 years ago

EO-- I have just seen your theory of mixing planting mediums together in practice. A month ago I planted a phlox in a hole, watered it, and forgot about it. Later I noticed it failing, and then I saw the top of the plant with it's original potting medium was dry as a bone. I've been watering it, but today (now that I know the problem) I am going to get that old medium off it. I'm a retired educator and I thrive on knowing everything (or at least lots) !!!! Which is why this forum is the best thing that has happened to me and my Hosta! Question--I move stuff around a lot--does that mean a plant has to re-establish itself every time I move it? I took Sea Dream out of the clay this spring, put it in my "good" garden, and it immediately took off like a storm. What does that tell me? AND now that it has reached a good size, I put it back in the clay again. Oh, that poor plant!!! LOL I think you wrote once that when you move a plant, it takes a year to get caught up with itself again. (That means my Sea Dream is now 3 years behind as I had moved it the year before--the poor baby--I"ll go out and talk to it.) Anyway, I tend to plant as Hey-J does as I hate to be messing around with the roots that could become damaged in the process--plus it's so easy. From now on though, I will be very aware of the root ball I'm working with and heed your advice when need be.
    Sassy--thank you for sharing those plants with me--that's what I'm looking for--full sizers. I'm too old to nurse those little tcs to maturity anymore!!!! Don't you wonder if the Hosta growers read our posts? It would certainly be to their benefit to find out what the customer is looking for. LOL Thank you all for your input--I have learned a lot and now I'm anxious to try out ordering by mail. Oops I see a new vice in my future. LOL Mary

• 15 years ago

Hi EO, I just sent you an email. I am more than happy for some help. Thank you for your offer.

Tracy

• 15 years ago

Geez,EO,Rhodies grow like weeds around my house,and all they are in is heavy red clay soil! I guess the trick is,don't tell them they are in clay soil? Phil

• 15 years ago

"So this would also hold up when getting a division from someone...to knock off the old soil?"

Growing medias are quite different from soil and must be, I wouldn't worry about your neighbors soil and your soil. Plant it and forget it.

In fact in the end hosta are so easy, strong growers it almost doesn't matter what you do.

• 15 years ago

Sassy--Wow what neat plants you got from Hilltop. What are they?

Tracyvine--who was the grower that sent you those big plants bareroot?
    Thanks to you both. Mary

• 15 years ago

Geez,EO,Rhodies grow like weeds around my house,and all they are in is heavy red clay soil!
    Phil

Makes big difference being on a slope as opposed to flat-landers. You most likely have moisture wicking out of your hills most of the time.

• 15 years ago

Mary, they came from Sissinghurst-hostas.com and the lovely lady who handled my order was named Sylvia. She was very nice and helpful with my questions. They were out of September Sun after my order processed and she sent some wonderful surprises to help make up for it. The roots were all huge and the stems were very thick. They really knocked my socks off.

Here's the list of what I received: Paul's Glory, Metallica, Wide Brim, August Moon, Remember Me, Twilight, Cascade, Chantilly Lace, Frances Williams, Lakeside Kaleidoscope and Guacamole. She also sent a mini that looks like Tiny Tears but was without a tag so I'm unsure about the id.

• 15 years ago

95% of all of the plants I have ever bought have been bare root. Sorry, I am cheap and can't see paying for a pot.
    And how many of you like me go to a nursery and pull the plant out of the pot to see what the root system looks like?

• 15 years ago

Mary,
    The hosta in the photos are Gypsy Rose & Grand Tiara.
    Sassy

• 15 years ago

"95% of all of the plants I have ever bought have been bare root. Sorry, I am cheap and can't see paying for a pot."
    Chevy

You don't need the soil or the pot or the expense of shipping something heavy like soil. I don't think it is cheap, it is prudent conservation of resources not just your money but the energy to transport the weight.

• 15 years ago

Sassy--thanks--never heard of Gypsy Rose--neat plant. I lost my Grand Tiara--found it in a pot this spring quite dead of course.

Tracyvine--I looked up Sissinghurst, and I couldn't believe the low prices--lowest I found. And you picked up some real classics. Unfortunately, they didn't have what I wanted. But then I looked at Bridgewater and Halson, and their prices weren't much different from Hillside plus they charged for shipping. Shows to go you one really has to look around. Mary

• 15 years ago

Mary, I have to agree, their prices are pretty fair. Send Sylvia an email and ask about the hosta that you are looking for. She might be able to help you out. She is very hands on and a real peach. What are you looking to add to your collection anywho? I'm being nosey. Maybe I want one too! lol!

• 15 years ago

Mary,
    I guess I've been having Senior Moments....I completely
    forgot about the bare rooted plants that I had ordered last May from The Hosta Patch.
    I'm old and don't have time to wait around for hostas to mature.
    I wanted plants with more than 1-2 eyes so I searched the net until I found a nursery that sells them big.
    Five of the hostas in the photo were what they call "Super Size" and one was a regular.
    Here's what I paid for these "Super Size" hostas:
    Kiwi Full Monty = $36
    Parky's Prize = $15
    Patriot's Fire = $22
    Abby = $15
    (the regular size Sum & Substance = $9)
    plus $20 for shipping
    Grand Total = $132.00

• 15 years ago

Here's a pic of my 1st online order that I made from 'Made In The Shade'
    also called 'The Hosta Guy'
    They are all Gold Edger.
    Healthy? Yes.
    Small? LOL.....shut up, Sassy, shut up.

• 15 years ago

Tracyvine,
    I'm looking for a very big Liberty since they are such slow growers--I have a call into Hillside as they carry it, and I may consider buying two. I can't find my want list (I keep filling up postits and losing them), but I know Orange Marmalade is on it, and I loved Sassy's Gypsy Rose. And I looked up Metallica --I'm keeping that in mind if I need that color. I also love Marilyn Monroe. I am re-doing an area, and after I get my last 6 Hosta in, I will then get serious about what else I NEED!

EO or Hey-J--I was looking at your posts on potted Hosta. I planted one yesterday that was so tight and the roots so embedded that when I squeezed it, there was no give. And it was a strange shade of brownish. I will re-plant it if you have any ideas on how to open up that dude to get the roots active. Thanks Mary

• 15 years ago

Ooooh, Mary, Liberty and Orange Marmalade are both beautiful! I'm so new that I had to run to hosta library to look them up. They are stunning! I will keep my eyes pealed for any deals that I come across. Hopefully we can find you some big'uns!

Metallica was a fun one for me. Bought that strictly for nostalgic reasons. Brings back a bit of my youth. lol! I have a preference more for the cream/greens and the yellow/blues. Can't seem to stay away from them. I do love the all blue corrugateds too. Hadspen Blue is another that I am very fond of.

Carol, those roots are gi-normous! I thought the ones I received were big but those make my eyes pop! Wow!

Tracy

• 15 years ago

I planted one yesterday that was so tight and the roots so embedded that when I squeezed it, there was no give. And it was a strange shade of brownish. I will re-plant it if you have any ideas on how to open up that dude to get the roots active."
    Thanks Mary

The secret is to NOT cut or severely damage the roots, if you can't spread them out then stick them in the hole as is. You can't make roots "active" BIG BUTT you can damage them and make them "inactive".

Again I'm talking about general hosta culture but don't over think it they are just hosta and you can't go far wrong.

• 15 years ago

oops, I have read in the past that if a plant is really root bound and if you can't separate the roots gently, take a knife and slit down the sides. That's what I almost did to this guy. But I was wise enuf to ask the experts first--only because I have been gifted with such a source. You probably saved it's life. :o) I will water it well and keep my hands off of it. Mary

• 15 years ago

Mary--I've done the same thing--it may not have been the best thing to do, but my hosta don't seem to have minded
    all that much! ;o)

• 15 years ago

Hosta are monocots, not dicots like trees and other plants. If you cut up, slice the root ball of a hosta you are killing the roots not the plant. Just causing it to not perform as well.

Slice up a tree root and it will make more fine roots, slice up a hosta and you have lost part of next years plant.

Hosta are sort of a 2 cycle engine, they make roots then use roots. Any loss of roots is a loss of foliage at some point.

• 15 years ago

So many ideas and opinions. I think over the years I've probably done about all of them and really haven't noticed any difference in their growth. I even did the overnight soak in 10% bleach solution last fall and the plants are thriving!
    (That procedure I had my doubts about)
    Hard plants to kill, thank God.

Here's what I found on HILLTOP's GARDENING WISDOM & TIPS

1. ESTABLISHING PLANTS:

Teasing the roots apart is not necessary unless the plant is very root bound.
    If the plant is very root bound, I like to run a knife down the side of the root ball in a couple of places, cutting about 1/8" deep.

• 15 years ago

re: "If the plant is very root bound, I like to run a knife down the side of the root ball in a couple of places, cutting about 1/8" deep."

That's what I've always done--if terribly rootbound. I figure, either way there will be loss. If those roots don't get acclimated
    or spread out, so that more soil can get inside the rootball, it would seem logical to me, that there would be a sacrifice of growth and vigor and possibly a failed hosta.

If I do the surface cutting, (not unlike some methods of division where roots are lost in the process, if cutting from above ground) then the plant will recover and will become vigorous in a season or two or three, (again, typical time frame for any hosta to 'sleep-creep and leap') at least in my limited experience.

But--E.O., no doubt, knows far more than I do on the subject--so we live and learn, as he has, hopefully! :o)

• 15 years ago

Well, I thot I was taking the plunge this AM and putting in an order to Hill Top. It just so happens, they are in the midst of repotting this years plants from quarts to gallons for next year. They would have shipped the new pots now but wanted at least a week's growth on the new roots. Since I am not in a big hurry, I am going to wait about 6 weeks to give them a really good start in their pots and yet get them in the ground in time for a good start into winter. Does the beginning of Sept in zone 4 provide enuf time to get them winterized? Mary

• 15 years ago

Mary, Are the folks at Hilltop taking orders?
    I tried to call them today and didn't get an answer.

About your question....
    I live in northern Ohio and have planted in the fall lots of times without problems.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz