SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Getting ready for winter market this weekend

We have been busy picking, washing and bagging produce since last weekend for this weekends market. We are going to have our largest offering ever.

Here are some of the items.

Kale: Winterbor, Toscano and Red Russian

Swiss Chard: Fordhook Giant and Bright Lights

Head of Looseleaf lettuce: Magenta, Cherokee, Mottistone, Tiede, Concept, and Romaine (Not pictured Buttercrunch)

Garlic

Carrots: Orange and Yellow

Not pictured, Salad Mix, Red and Green Bok Choy, Haikuri Turnips, Tomatoes, Tokyo Bekana, Napa Cabbage, Green Onions, Radishes, Daikon Radishes, and Jams and Jellies

Here is my problem, I like to grow several varieties of the same crop, example Kale: Red Russian, Winterbor and Toscano. It offers more variety but does it increase sales? I think it does, but some consumers seem overwhelmed. Also, how much do you pick of each. If I have three kinds, do I bring 10 pounds of each? What if I only had one, would I bring 30 pounds of 1? It is a strange question I know.

The same comes up with the head lettuce, would I be better off to just grow 1 or 2 varieties or have 7 varieties? They all have different colors or characteristics. Which way is better?

Any thoughts?

Jay

Comments (25)

Sponsored