SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grow_life

container irrigation

grow_life
9 years ago

Tomatoes are my cash crop, and I only have so much room to rotate plantings. After 3 years growing in basically the same spot, the disease buildup is becoming a problem. My solution is to grow all nightshades in containers next season. I have access to as many nursery containers as I need in any size. my plan is to roll out the black plastic, put the containers on that, fill with compost/media, and grow away.

My question comes down to irrigating the pots. Would t tape with pre-spaced emitters run along the top of the pots down the row work, or would it be better to run a distribution line with micro tubing to each individual pot? T tape would be easier/cheaper, but I wonder how hard it would be to secure it to the pots so it doesn't fall off. Plus, the per-spaced emitters may prove challenging to get the pot spacing to line up right so all the emitters are over a pot.

The rows are about 30-40 feet long, not sure of pot spacing yet, but will be about 50- 75 pots in production at any given time, with some succession planting through the season.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions