SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcatblum_gw

How did you pick what market to sell at?

jcatblum
12 years ago

I have been blessed with a grant to provide 1 acre of plasitculture from the Dept of Ag. We prep the ground, the lay irrigation & plasic for my rows. They also will reimburse some of our expenses, such as fencing for deer, market scale, etc.

Next yr will be my first season of market gardening. I have several markets to pick from. I am torn between selling at 2 markets less than 20 min from my farm. Or use my time selling at a large market about 45 min away.

Prices are very different at the markets! The larger market with sell squash for $1.50-$2 a lb. Small markets sell squash 3/$1.

I hesitate with the larger market for the distance, fees, and rules. I am not a rule breaker, but I have been told there is dramma in the larger market because of the rules. They meet each year to set price guidelines and problems come when people try to lowball or people suspecting others of outsourcing.

I do feel I will make less selling at the smaller two markets, but I am thinking it will be easier on me. Less dramma, less driving, and less fees.

How do you pick between markets? Any other thoughts or markt choices?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH