SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berndoodle

Photo of mature Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku' ?

berndoodle
18 years ago

Best of the season, maplephiles. I hope someone can help me decide whether to fiddle with my 'Sango Kaku.' Now's the season in Northern California. I've searched long and hard online for a picture of a nice, mature specimen, which would be a help in knowing what to do with this young tree.

It's been in the ground a single season after coming here in a 24 inch box. Most of the head is about 6 1/2 feet tall and wide. It had been pruned into a rounded shape, for some reason, maybe as preparation for lifelong confinement in a pot. Now in the ground in a nice protected spot, it is sending out a number of long, thin fountain-like branches, which I take as a good thing. It does, however, look a bit odd, as it outgrows it's earlier haircut.

Since it should naturally have a vase shape, should I just close my eyes and wait while it grows out of the lollipop-shape that the nursery imposed on it? I do want a vase-shaped tree, tho with multiple trunks. The multiple trunks are already established.

FWIW, my inclination is to let it go for another full season. The tree settled in nicely and put on good growth this year.

Oh, and there's a 6 inch wound or canker in a branch which is as big around as a large thumb. Is disease an issue with this tree? I don't know whether to cut it out, spray the wound with an anti-baterial anti-fungal or just watch and wait.

TIA.

Comments (3)