SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommagoose_gw

Flood Damaged Market Garden

mommagoose
17 years ago

This Spring we really had ourselves organized. I had transplanted 4,000 cucumber plants and 1,000 more cantalopes. Drip irrigation was installed on time and the tomatoes and onions were weeded perfectly . The potaoes and leeks were hilled . The garden was gorgous. Then the end of June the flood hit. First the garden was assalted by a flash flood which ripped holes 5 feet deep in the cucumber bed and then the Susquehanna began to rise from 1/4 mile away and sat on the fields for 3 days. The topsoil was completely washed away on 3/4 of the market garden leaving rocks and debris 3 feet deep.

All that has been cleared. The holes filled in but the lack of topsoil seems to have doomed our little farm. Does anyone know what I can do to make a garden out of sand gravel and cobblestones? I am thinking about trying to grow grass for a few years and selling range feed broiler chickens. But I still have orders for veggies coming in for next year. I may have to lease land nearby to fill those orders. I need suggestions to reclaim my beautiful gardens again.

Comments (5)

Sponsored