SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Discount or donate?

2ajsmama
12 years ago

The local Historical Society has asked me to provide jams and jellies for their Tavern Night fundraiser. 19th century tavern, $15/pp so not a full meal, just finger food. That's gone from selling them stuff to researching recipes and trying to suggest other items for the menu (one guy really wants hardtack, they were going to buy preserves to put on it, I have suggested that the tavern would not have served hardtack, since it was almost inedible and sailors and soldiers only ate it b/c they had to).

Organizer is a neighbor, she is coming over to taste-test jams and jellies tomorrow. 50 tickets for sale, she was thinking only 6 jars of jam or so. I have already offered to make anything they want (such as pickles, desserts, etc.). I was given some quinces from another neighbor so can make quince paste or apple pie with quince jelly, etc. If they want something I don't grow (such as onion or winter squash soup), then I'd appreciate it they could pay for ingredients.

So, should I discount the jams or donate them? I would like to get paid *something* for the jams (already made and I can sell next year at market) if I am donating pickled peppers/relishes and/or apple/quince desserts. It's my first year and it's been a bad year, barely covered my market costs so even $30 would help.

But this could be a really good marketing opportunity, to let 25 or so families in town know about my jams and jellies - though I prefer to sell fresh fruit and vegetables. We're on a cul de sac on the edge of town, the farmer's market is next town over (though I know people must be aware of it), and as far as I know (market master told me), we are the only farm in this town.

I may still get some recognition without a donation, but is it worth the $30 (drop price to $5/jar?) profit to have the goodwill of the Society? Even if I'm donating another $30-70 worth of product (market value of apples, quince jelly, pickled peppers/relishes) plus additional time researching recipes and potentially cooking things such as soup, bread, etc.? The thing is, I won't know right away how involved I'm going to be.

Find out how much she wants of what I've already got made, state discounted price on that, but have her wait to pay, and if they don't want anything else, just waive the fee and donate the preserves? If they do want more food from me, then accept the money a month from now when they've sold the tickets (event is Nov 5)?

Thanks - since she'll be here in AM, I'd appreciate opinions ASAP.

Shelly

Comments (8)

Sponsored