SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustico_2009

Drip Tape?

rustico_2009
11 years ago

We have three 5000 gallon water tanks on the top of our property filled by our well. By gravity, there is between approximately 15 and 25 psi to my downward sloping garden. The garden drops about 10' per 100 feet of run downhill.

I am thinking of running a pvc line underground through the property to the 1 acre garden and popping it up every 30 feet or so, going down the hill to take off drip tape from it. I'll run it right next to the existing pressure boosted 1" line and have the choice of gravity or pressure boosted water everywhere.

I think most of you probably use drip tape?

So a couple of questions:

The longest runs I will want are about 75 feet since the main line goes through the middle of the garden. 75' is very short for drip tubing? I imagine because of the pressure issues created by the slope that there will be at least 3 zones with individual pressure regulators. A single zone would have an elevation drop of 3-4feet or approximately 1.5 psi variance in the tubing.

Will it take a 1", 1.5", 2" or 3" main to water up to half an acre of the garden at a time with drip tape?

I have permanent beds and also make one use beds for some summer crops, Do you throw away the tape after each crop? With permanent beds? With temporary beds?

As an alternative,I was thinking maybe 1/2 poly drip tubing could work with the gravity flow? Maybe at least for the permanent beds? What would your preference be anyway?

Thanks for any pointers.

Russell

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations