SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leo_in_md

Need suggestions for perennials to go with my salvia 'blue'

leo_in_md
17 years ago

Dear Fellow Gardeners,

I have a salvia 'blue' on one of my flower bed. I like the look of it and plan to plant a few more. They will be a few inches from the border.

What I am looking now are border plants that will have non contrasting color with the salvia. I generally don't like red and yellow. I like pastels (including pink) and generally all kind of blue.

I also don't like invasive plants. I like plants that stay compact. If they will spread maybe 3-5ft when they mature, that's OK as long as they're pretty much consistent in the long run. I like the silver foliage of Lamb's ear but since they're invasive, I'm having second thoughts.

So what kind of plants I can put in front of the salvia? Of course since the salvia is about a foot tall, then the border plants should be lower. They can be silver foliage plants without flowers, or others with flowers.

What about the layer behind the salvias which should be taller? Any suggestions? I was thinking white coneflower but I heard they are not as hardy as the pink coneflowers?

Actually, I also should have some other plants in the same layer with the salvias.

BTW, herbs are OK also as long as they stay compact.

Thanks,

Leo

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus