SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Veggies anyone??

jel48
18 years ago

I haven't kept up with the forum too well lately. I've been waaaaaay too busy actually gardening, poor, poor me Isn't it great?

I'm wondering how others are doing on the veggie garden front. My husband thinks I'm a risk taker, and if I weren't around nothing would go in until the first of June. BUT, we have onion sets (purchased) and onion seedlings (home grown) that are doing great; Lettuce that we had a salad from before transplanting the seedlings into the garden that is just about ready to pick again, along with lettuce close to an inch tall that was sown directly in the garden; Healthy little red cabbages that started on my light shelf; Peas that are up as of yesterday; and then the big scary one (so far as DH is concerned) - five large tomato plants and nine peppers that I moved out from the cold frame to the garden yesterday (had to make room in the cold frame, just like I had to make room on the light shelf when I moved these guys out to the cold frame weeks ago!

I do love spring, and I'm willing to take a chance on having to cover them individually, although hopefully I might not have to. My earliest ever tomato plants went in the ground (in Nebraska where although the last frost date isn't that different, the seasons seem to arrive about 3 weeks earlier)... anyway, they went in on March 28th and I covered them only ONCE! What an unusually year that was! Normal in that area would be about mid-April.

Hope all of you are out enjoying spring planting too! I concentrated on veggies in the post, but they're by far not the ONLY things going in the ground.

Hosta planting is going well.

Daylilies have been planted - one of my frieds at work gave me a half bushel of Stella d'Oro's - she dug them up when she was going to help her son (24 yr old) landscape the yard at his newly built (last year) house. He told her 'Single guy's don't raise flowers'. LOL! Although I asked one of my co-workers (single, late twenties) and he agreed saying 'maybe a hosta or a shrub'. LOL! LOL! These guys are funny :-) But, they are funny to my benefit. I now have a nice little bed of day lilies!

Shade plants are going in the ground this week. We have a new nursery here in Owatonna, and I made a nice haul on Mother's Day - kind of my gift to myself!

Nuff, for now. Stayed home with a headache this morning, I'm feeling better, and it's time to go to work (that necessary evil that supports my gardening, photogoraphy, and bird hobbies). Then home again and.... back to the garden :-)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus