SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ca2devri

Question for those using plastic mulch

cdevries
11 years ago

I've used it in small quantities in the past and I'm planning on growing for market again next year (after a 4 year hiatus). I'm thinking of buying a large roll and doing a good deal of my 1 acre garden next year with plastic mulch. I have a couple questions for those with experience:

Does the compostable mulch (made with corn) work? I see different thicknesses, 8 to 20 mil and I'm wondering if the thicker stuff would be enough for full season crops like tomatoes? I like the idea of not creating so much landfill garbage. what are the pros and cons of working with it?

For rolling out by hand, what are things to consider in terms of size and such? I have a large tractor mounted tiller and I'm going to plan out my bed widths to match it (5' wide) but I'm wondering if with plastic mulch a narrower bed would be better?

Finally - I found laying driptape, burying, rolling mulch, covering a lot of work, but the worst was how much longer it took to transplant into the plastic. What is a good, fast method for transplanting into the plastic?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Chris

Comments (32)

Sponsored