SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeninggrrl

Anyone willing to share thoughts about trends in the industry?

gardeninggrrl
18 years ago

Hi all -

I'm a freelance writer who does market research reports on various topics for a company called Mintel. These topics in the past have ranged from soup to red meat to dental accessories (ugh! that one was deadly!), and now I'm happily working on gardening. Basically, these reports are a comprehensive market report, a state of the industry so to speak. They have sales data, consumer research, competitive analysis, market drivers, trends, supplier overview, etc.

I'd love to get the perspective of any of you who wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts, as those knowledgeable about the market and what's hot, what's not, etc. Any info is welcome, but I'd be particularly interested in hearing about how sales have been this year relative to previous years, and if there's an emerging trend there; if your customer base is changing; what you see as the trends in the industry, etc. I'm trying to get perspectives from across the country, not just here in the Midwest.

I'm an avid gardener myself, so I feel like I have a decent grasp of what's going on and what affects the market, but of course that could just be colored by my own personal preferences. For example, I grow hundreds of tomato plants from seed each year, and it seems to me that heirloom fruits/vegetables have been getting a lot of press lately. But, I wonder if this is really such a big phenomenon, or if it's just one of those things that's trendy to talk about, but not that big in terms of numbers, both with people buying heirloom varieties from nurseries and retailers and with more people growing them.

Feel free to respond here or to email me directly if you would like to share your thoughts. If this post is out of line here for some reason, I apologize in advance - I usually hang out in the Tomato Forum, so I'm not entirely sure of the protocol here.

Thanks all, and happy selling! I buy all my annuals/perennials from small/local nurseries, and I'm constantly amazed at how hard all of you work. Seriously. I've also grown flowers from seed, or have attempted to....let's just say I'm in awe of anyone who does anything involving gardening for a living. And I know that your perspective as market gardeners is a bit different from, say, larger nurseries that sell more plants, but I'd still be interested in your perspective. (I've posted this on the Professional Gardener Forum as well.)

Tasha

Comments (2)

Sponsored