SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucygreenthumb

New Ukigumo...help with it's requirements please.

lucygreenthumb
15 years ago

Hi All,

I rescued a 3 foot tall Ukigumo from Lowes' clearance this weekend. I know I'm in an iffy area for them cold wise, but it was so cheap that I couldn't resist. Now I need some general advice and help deciding where he will be happiest outdoors.

I don't want to overdo it, but I do want to give this poor tree his best chance. It's too late in the season to fertilize and I don't think he needs it. He has brown leaf tips that I'm guessing are from the watering routine at the store.

Anyhow, if you could point me to websites with great info on Ukigumos I would appreciate it and would happily accept any advice. I'm a good all around gardener, BUT until now I've only admired JMs from a distance.

I don't have the ideal morning sun only site in my small yard and I'm not sure which of the two sites I do have would be best.

The first location will be against the northside of the house, tucked in a sheltered spot between the deck stairwell and house, protected from winter winds, with moist soil - the downside is this is full shade, and under the gutters which tend to overflow in a hard rain. (Yes, I keep them clear, theres something about them that's not quite right.) I will build a up the small raised bed to help with drainage. But I wonder if it'll be too wet during rainy spells.

The second spot is more exposed, drier (tree root competition) and will get dappled afternoon sun.

I'm guessing spot one is the better choice, but I respect the vast expertise and experience on this forum, so tell it to me like it is please!

Also, I do want to build a small raised bed to help with drainage - the site is only about 3 feet across so I can't build it too high. I have nice rich Iowa soil, what would you recommend to improve the drainage. It's against the house foundation, so would some pine bark nuggets help with drainage and soil pH?

I also have leaf compost, and access to aged horse manure and sawdust, but I'm thinking the horse byproducts would be too much.

Thanks in advance for all advice on my impulse buy!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus