SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjchermack

Diagnosis Help: The Dreaded V. Wilt?

tjchermack
15 years ago

Hi-- I'm hoping this is not what I think it may be, but could really use some expert help in diagnosis. First the facts:

-- I live in Fort Collins, CO, and there are not many people adventurous enough to plant Japanese Maples here, so everything I'm doing is a little bit of an experiment.

-- I purchased a beautiful Seiryu a few weeks ago from a reputable nursery for a good price. I do not believe they would sell me a diseased tree, but considering point 1 above... My guess is that it is approximately 4 years old.

-- It seems a good bet that the tree was not babied at the nursery like most of us will baby our trees, as there were lots of dead twigs, etc.. that I pruned out when I got it home, but nothing out of the ordinary

-- I have noticed the occasional dead leaf, but it seems to generally, overall be doing very well. It is very lush, lots of green, etc..

-- Upon closer inspection I've notice the things in the photos linked here:

http://gallery.me.com/tjchermack#100071

-- The tree has now been in the ground about two weeks. I also need to tell you that some branches were cut off at the nursery and they told me it was dieback from last winter.

-- Finally, I watered it heavily when I planted it (we have clay soil, so I followed all of the proper soil amending instructions, etc.., and I have a few other Japanese Maples that do not show these things I am worried about) and we have oddly got a lot of rain recently.

I know the symptoms of overwatering can look like V. Wilt, but I'd really appreciate the perspective of a trained eye on this.

Thanks so much

Tom

Comments (7)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio