SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adrianmonk

Ideas for side foundation planting?

adrianmonk
17 years ago

I started a subject asking about the "burning bush", but thought it'd be better if I showed you the situation and asked for ideas. I wish I could post a direct picture, but I only know how to do it like this:

[IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q181/adrianmonk_2007/P4220085.jpg[/IMG]

The picture was taken around 4:30PM today. The side faces west, and between the house and the street tree, there are limited ours of direct sunlight, although anything at the front may see more sun.

The plan, is to widen the beds. (The landscaper bought twice the mulch that I needed in the front, and I have to do something with it). The bush at the front will likely go. I'm undecided about the two large ones in the back as a little trimming might make them look decent. I guess it may seem peculiar with half new stuff and half old though.

I walked around a couple of nurseries this weekend. As I said, I had thought of Burning Bush, but that seems to be controversial, and I don't know if I have enough sun to make it do its' autumn thing anyway. Someone suggested "Henry's Garnett Sweetbriar" which wasn't in yet. The red twigged dogwoods and Shadbow (sp?) serviceberries caught my eye, but I don't really know if this would work. When all is said and done, I don't want it to be too scimpy and would like something of substance without being gaudy. Yews, hollies, boxwoods, they all so many ideas to consider.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Comments (9)

Sponsored