SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cincyhostaguy

Voles!!!!!

cincyhostaguy
15 years ago

I know this has been discussed before but I need to vent, plus most importantly I'm desperate for good ideas. I bought my house 10 years ago. The wife was a master gardener who had lived there 16 years whose specialty was hostas and lilys. They had a nice compost pile going and supposedly the best garden soil in the neighborhood. I immediately picked up on the hosta tradition she started, learning to divide and also buying new hostas and just generally trying to keep the beautiful gardens going. Most of the gardens are shaded but some have sun, and she had many, many varieties. At one point several years ago I counted over 300 hostas in total. Like most of my neighbors, I have problems with moles but in general they don't harm the hostas. In recent years I've had some disappear or shrink in size over the winter, which I've learned to live with. My most recent and greatest aggravation over the last couple years are voles. They seem to love to eat the roots of many of the various new hostas I plant and lovingly care for. Yet I look at certain neighbor's hostas which have been there for probably decades or longer and the people aren't nearly as fastidious as I am re maintenance, and their hostas endlessly thrive. I'm getting gunshy about buying new hostas because I know they won't survive our voracious voles. Is there a silver bullet cure? Do I have to plant all my hostas in larger containers submerged in the ground? I know darn well my neighbors aren't taking any special measures to protect their hostas. Should I just learn to live with this or is there something I can do that won't take so much time I'll have to quit my day job?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH