SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
longday1

Trying to figure out the financial viability...

longday1
14 years ago

And it just doesn't seem to add up. I'm looking at starting a baking business, selling at farmers markets in Southern CA. Looking at the financial side, you've got a permit that runs at almost $500/year, insurance at almost $1000/year, fees to the market organizer of around 8% of your takings (or is that profit, and if so, how do they police or calculate this?), you have to cook in a commercial kitchen at an average of $18/hour. Then you have your ingredients, packaging, and start-up costs of a tent, tables, displays, safe food handling course etc. Therefore, the minimum outlay before you even start is somewhere around $2000. Assuming you're making a profit of $1.50 per item (individual cakes/cookies), then you'd have to sell a LOT of them to even start to cover your weekly costs, and this is without factoring in your time.

So, anonymously, or hyperthetically if you like, how are so many very small vendors possibly making this work? I've seen vendors with just a few different items for sale, and clearly not moving them quickly, and I just can't understand how they are making any income without cutting corners somewhere. Are they shirking insurance? Are they baking from home (and if so, are they ignoring State regulations or finding a way around them)? Are they waiting until they have volume before they comply? I'm genuinely puzzled since I cannot see how they can possibly make it work if they're doing it "right".

Thoughts?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations