SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patlovesdirt

Soil Mix for Container Japanese Maple

patlovesdirt
14 years ago

I posted earlier today with pics of my JM. The leaves are brown and crispy at the edges. It's in a ceramic pot and in MiracleGro dirt, morning sun/afternoon shade. GardenGal thankfully responded that the problem was likely the MG dirt (who knew that stuff was so bad!). Anyway, I'm going to repot - today, before it gets worse. I'm not willing to wait until the tree is dormant and since it's in a pot now and not that large, I don't think I'll do any damage.

To get to the point, I've searched threads all morning looking for the proper soil mix to use. The one I found about using MiracleGro dirt was very confusing! As far as I can tell from all the posts, there is nothing premixed commercially and I'm sure I haven't seen any premixed soil for JM at our Lowes. Our area (small town) is really limited as to the number of options available at Lowes, so I'm going to try to improvise. Please tell me if this is a good - or okay - plan:

Pine Bark (only kind they have is "pine bark mulch" - will that do?

Peat Moss

Top Soil

Do I need perlite?

I know this probably isn't perfect, but is it okay? Our area is very limited in available options at our Lowes.

Thanks guys!

Comments (8)