SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harveyspooka

'Competition' at Market

harveyspooka
16 years ago

I know I'm putting my feet in the fire here and will probably touch off a heated debate, but I'm a little perturbed at what is occurring at my market and want to open a dialogue here to get your thoughts.

I read here almost every day. I have a small farming operation and this will be my third year selling at market. I offer a large variety of items throughout the season. I love what I'm doing and wouldn't do anything else unless forced to do so. It is my intention to eventually earn my living with my farm business. Two weekends ago I attended market with some large, healthy, heirloom tomato starts. My asking price was $1.00 per plant which I thought was low to begin with but it's late in our season. We had frosts here until May 19 so a lot of people were planting late so I took my starts. My booth was just across from an older gentleman also selling tomato starts. However, he priced his at 6/$1.00. I was shocked. He asked if he was priced right and I said "please, raise your prices." He stated he didn't care that much if he sold them as it's just his hobby.

You all see where I'm going with this, I know. Our market is just three years old and already there is an attitude that you don't sell what anyone else is selling (near impossible) and you don't "out-price" them. And yet, a woman from another booth came to mine last fall with pen and paper in hand telling me she was making notes on the sunflower wreaths I'd made so she could copy them for next year. Ok, I can deal with that. I've changed my designs and my wreaths will be better than hers, I hope.

I believe in healthy competition. That's how you are propelled to learn and produce a better product or change your product line accordingly, etc., etc. I think this is probably the hobbyist vs. professional issue that seems to creep into most farmers markets.

What is your opinion?

HarveysPooka

Comments (33)

Sponsored