SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sephira_gw

Gambling on MN weather......

sephira
18 years ago

Most of my garden is either in buckets/tubs or improvised raised beds made of tires, stock tanks, and whatever other big thing I have laying around that will hold dirt.

These are in a fairly sunny location, rather protected from north and west wind. As such, they can be pretty well thawed out when we still have a foot of snow in places. I'm kind of on the north slope of a hilly area with miles and miles of low flatland (peatbog) to the north. The native soil is very dense clay that stays a wet and cold soup FOREVER (no drainage whatsoever), until Mid-may, when there are about three days when it can be "worked" before it becomes hard and dry like concrete and the weather gets hot. (Hence my raised beds and containers filled with very old rotted horse manure.)

On the back of all the seed packets of cool weather veggies, it says to plant "as soon as soil can be worked". Well, this soil in my containers "can be worked" pretty darn early, but do I dare plant anything THAT early? I've not had very good luck in the past with this type of seed when I've waited until later in May to plant. This is totally ridiculous. How can anybody NOT be able to grow "cool weather crops" in north-central MN?!?!?!?!?!

Comments (4)

Sponsored