SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leftwood

What does 'ex' mean?

leftwood
18 years ago

Few people here are as fanatical about plant genetics as me, but everyone should be to some degree, even ALL of you.

Many of you already know that seed from a hybrid tomato will not produce the exact same tomato plant. Likewise, it is the same for cultivars(named varieties) of perennials, trees, etc. Seed is always a genetic mixture different from the mother plant. While with species and heirloom plants the progeny may be similar, with hybrids and modern cultivars the offspring is often very different.

Using the term "ex" is a good way of differentiating the sort-of-copies from the true named cultivars. You can interpret it as meaning "came from" or "descendant of".

In my opinion, it is not necessary to to label the seeds themselves with "ex", since it is pretty self-evident where they came from. But it couldn't hurt either.

As an example:

Divisions of an Echinacea 'Sunrise'are still plants that should correctly be called Echinacea 'Sunrise'. But plants grown from seed from Echinacea 'Sunrise' should not. They should be labeled Echinacea ex 'Sunrise' to indicate their parentage, while at the same time exclaiming they are not true 'Sunrise'.

You may encounter "ex" used in a different way, but still with the same meaning. When "ex" is followed by a place name(that is not a cultivar name), it idicates the plant or seed came from that place. This is usually used in wild applications. For example, "Uvularia grandiflora ex Hennepin County" would tell you that the plant or seed came from a wild population in Hennepin County.

Although I don't know how "correct" this is, I have seen "ex" use in this way also: Delphinium ex Bressingham Gardens. Obviously, it means the delphinium came from or originated in Bressingham Gardens in England.

So you are aware that Echinacea ex 'Sunrise' plants probably won't be just like the parent. But you never know: you might end up with something even better!

Rick

Comments (11)

Sponsored