SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Over the winter (and what's blooming!)

cfmuehling
19 years ago

Hi All!

Well, the dogs managed to get into my nursery and kill/break off 9 or 10 Japanese Maples I'd purchased. Right at their graft points, too. A bunch of small Dynamite Crape Myrtles are broken off at the ground, several different plants that were peeking out of the ground were smashed to death, my small nandina sprouts were stomped, labels and pots ripped out of the ground and tossed about.

Actually, on one bed, I'm not sure it was the dogs because my cat was also mauled and my dogs didn't have scratches. Bentley is recovered nicely, thank GOD, and I've double locked and tied my dogs in and my cats still don't go outside without me. What a nightmare the first and only time they've gotten out!

I tried overwintering some plants inside. Pauley (another cat) had daily salad, Lucy (another cat) threw up in one -- hairballs, you know -- Tosha (another cat) nestles in the ficus pots, and the dryness I think killed everything but the latter and a hibicus. Woe for my beautiful coleus I tried to bring in, but at least I tried.

On a brighter note, my Helleborus are both blooming. A lovely greenish color and another a deep purple. I am thrilled! Day lilies, tulips and daffodils are sprouting out of the ground, my sedums are making their little rosettes and today I'm putting out my seeds. Oh, sure, I should have had them out before, but better late than never! :)

I'm looking forward to the swap and seeing you all!

Comments (10)

Sponsored