SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lou12_gw

Dying Silver Maple

Lou12
18 years ago

About 4 years ago I planted a Silver Maple in my back yard. At the time I asked the guy for the biggest one he had and this one was had about a 3" diameter trunk at the time. The tree has been growing fine and about two years ago I removed the stakes. The trunk is now 4 - 5" in diameter. This year I noticed that the tips of the leaves are all brown and the leaves are pale green. On some parts of the branches the leaves never came out.

The soil is clay that gets rock hard when it dries out. I remember when I dug the hole. When I planted it I followed all the instructions from the nursery. Is it possible that the roots can not penetrate the clay and as the tree grows it can not get enough water? This would account for why it would survive when it was smaller but not now that it has almost doubled in size. We have had a reasonable amount of rain, the grass is still green so there must be moisture down there. I really don't think it is a leave disease.

Now the leaves are all brown. I put the stakes back on because the tree seems loose. I can rock it back and forth an inch or so. I dont remember it being that loose last summer. Is it possible that last fall when we got all that rain and wind in the NE that the ground got saturated and the wind jiggled the tree around breaking up the roots?

If the leaves turn brown is it definitely dead? Should I cut it down now or just leave it there and see what happens next year?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!