SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Plowing when wet - how compacted and how to fix?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

Maybe I shouldn't post until I go out tomorrow and assess the damage, but we have 1.34" of rain on Tuesday, sleet and snow that night, took a while to melt (at least in shady spots) yesterday, today DH took the tractor out and plowed the back field!

I didn't know that he was going to do it, didn't find out until he came in at about 6:30 as I was leaving to take DD to Easter egg hunt - all he told me when he called at 5:30 was that he was out back - I assumed tearing apart the beaver dam yet again.

So how bad do you think this is, I know wagon trails across the West still show signs of soil compaction 150 years later.

He doesn't even know what he wants to plant there, I'm looking for a place to plant potatoes, was going to try the old hay field since the hay's no good but I know parts of that are too wet.

We haven't had anything planted out there, he'd mow it with the riding lawnmower occasionally, it's near the old orchard. Last fall he had my dad go in with the excavator and pull out all the wild roses (and black raspberries). There used to be wild strawberries in that field/clearing but I haven't seen any the past 2 years.

I can't seem to impress upon DH and Dad that running heavy equipment over the fields and/or working the soil when it's wet results in soil compaction. Just looking to salvage the area now - DH said maybe plant peas to get N up (but we haven't had it tested so I don't know how bad it was, grass looked pretty good to me last summer), I said peas need support, and potatoes don't need much N, he said he could take 2-bottom plow out if I pick up the stones. Maybe we should just sow clover?

Comments (5)

Sponsored