SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajnbuxmont

Bare Root Emperor One in Transplant Shock

ajnbuxmont
16 years ago

I live in the Philadelphia area and am new to japanese maples. I recently ordered a small, bare root Emperor One from a fine and reputable mail-order nursery, which arrived in beautiful condition, full of red leaves. I chose Emperor One in part because of its ability to withstand direct sunlight. The site in which I planted the tree gets full sun in the morning until the early afternoon, and then is in the shadow of the house the rest of the day.

My soil is heavy clay. Prior to planting, I added a considerable abount of gypsum and compost to the planting hole, as well as some organic "starter" fertilizer. I also added water to the hole prior to planting the tree and replacing the backfill soil. While I did not thoroughly mix the compost with the backfill soil, I did add back all of the backfill soil together with the compost.

Within about 5 days, the tree's leaves appeared limp, began to curl, and ultimately died. At present, all of the leaves have fallen, although the stem and branches are a healthy red, and green appears when I gently scratch the bark. I think it is very clear that the tree is quite alive, although in shock.

Following the nursery's advice, I have watered the tree with SuperThrive a few times, and have been trying to give it a thorough watering about twice a week, especially as it has become rather hot here.

Will the tree grow leaves again this year? Do I have a more serious problem, i.e., how do I ensure that the tree survives the summer? I have bonded with this little tree as if it were a baby and watch over it, sing to it, have read poetry to it, and have even treated it to a four-course meal at a restaurant of its choice. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert