SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fventura

Tiller Advice...

fventura
19 years ago

This is our second year with a small cart out front and are looking to expand to farmers markets this year. Last year I plowed/disced more area to more than double our growing area. But the newly expanded area still has sod clumps despite a nice cover crop and manure spread from last year. I'ld like to break it up more.

I've originally thought I would run out and buy 3pt tiller for the tractor, but the more I think about it perhaps a walk behind is the better way to go. I'ld like to use it to prepare the beds as well as cultivate the paths between the rows. I guess the main reason I lean to the walk behind is I don't want/need a 5' or greater path between the rows which would be the minimum I could get with the tractor.

Looking into walk beind tillers it seems the only options are BCS and Troy-Bilt(MTD). So basically after that long winded intro I am looking for feedback on newer Troy-bilts/MTD's v.s. BCS tillers.

I've heard the Horse and Big Red models have not changed since the aquisition by MTD...is that so?

In the BCS line I was thinking of the 722 or 732. I'ld like 8hp 20" width minimum. Does that make sense or should I go for the larger hp models with differential. Larger tiller width? 26"?

How difficult is it to get parts for BCS?

Or should I just forget it and stick with the tractor ?

What are others doing...seems like you see fair amounts of post of people happy with either tiller...but are the Toy Bilt folks talking about pre-MTD tillers?

Currently our plot is only 12-13 rows that are 150' long, but we hope to continue expanding...

Comments (21)

Sponsored