SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
em247

Preparing Milkweed Seedlings for Park Planting

em247
10 years ago

Hello fellow Milkweed enthusiasts! : )

I have a question that I'm hoping one of you experienced milkweed-ers can help me with. I was wondering what the best way is to prepare milkweed seedlings to be planted on state land so that they will be most successful on their own without any additional care after the initial planting. I have a fairly sizeable amount of common milkweed seed left from my milkweed newbie seeds after starting a couple of jugs for our own garden, and my mom knows has the contact info for someone that can get us the go ahead and places to plant. I just wasn't sure how to go about it. I was thinking the aluminum lasagna pans with the clear tops might be a good solution, and I do have a lot of paper towel rolls I could put in there to keep the roots separated and minimize root disturbance during planting. I also have access to some small yogurt cups that I could transplant any germinated seedlings to to allow them to get a bit bigger before planting. If anyone has any tips or tricks on how to do this and how big the plants should be before we plant them it would be greatly appreciated. I would just hate to go through all the work just to end up wasting milkweed seed to produce plants that die after we get them in the ground

Thanks!
Emily

Comments (5)

Sponsored