SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magz88

Nervous about 1st year

magz88
13 years ago

Hey all,

This year I have decided to get my feet wet in the business of market gardening. My mix will be veg and cut-flowers about 40%-60% (and some small fruit down the road).

I am going to submit my application to the farmer's market this weekend and look to selling maybe 4-6 weeks in August and September.

For some reason, I am ridiculously nervous! I am worried about my display, packaging, storage etc.

Were any of you super nervous your first year?

Do any of you not have coolers? How many days in advance can you harvest certain veg? In particular - beets, carrots, spinach, lettuce (head). The info I find on the Web is all over the place. I am even starting to read books written in the 1800s to try to get a handle on how they did it before refrigeration.

Is it better to start onions in plug trays or in the ground? I started groups of 5 in 72s and transplanted them yesterday. There were still very tiny and I am not sure the extra 6 weeks or so that they have been growing are going to make them any better than the ones I direct sowed yesterday.

Thank you for any comments.

Comments (18)

Sponsored